MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Forum but under 18
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want to start a forum since I'm good with Photoshop and I could probably get a good domain. I'm only 15 though and I see people having to get their business license, giving their SS to PayPal, etc. I have a PayPal but it's in my name with my mother's CC on it. I'm just unsure if I will actually need this stuff for my forum? I will have an upgrade page too and when I look at PayPal, you have to make $20,000 a year with 200 services or goods payments to pay taxes which I'm sure I won't make that anytime soon. So just wondering if it'd be okay to open a forum since if needed to be I couldn't provide their required "information". :/ I also won't be able to withdraw the money from PayPal since its in my name so none of the revenue that goes into the PP will go to me physically. I'm thinking once I'm limited on my PayPal to just close it and open one in my parents' name.
I don't understand why there are so many threads lately about legal complications... Forums are a hobby, and if you're just starting out, you're not going to make $20,000 a year. You probably won't ever make that. I'm sure you're fine.
You can't have a paypal until you're 18. You have to use your parents otherwise it could be closed at any time.

You don't need a business license or anything. If you do make some money make sure you report the income at tax time you'll be fine.
1. Buy a $50 giftcard from your local 7-11
2. Go buy your domain + couple months of hosting
3. Use leftover money for a theme if you have any.

Don't use google adsense for ads since you'll have to fill out a bunch of tax stuff. Either sell it to people willing to pay with paypal, or use projectwonderful. You won't make a ton of money, if any at all, buy you SHOULD be able to make enough that you won't be making a lose on hosting and domain.

If you're starting a forum for a hobby go for it. If you're starting it to make money, you're going to have problems.
(2012-05-21, 05:40 PM)wethegreenpeople Wrote: [ -> ]If you're starting it to make money, you're going to have problems.

What kind of problems? And couldn't the problems be sorted out if someone under eighteen partnered with someone older?
(2012-05-22, 11:42 PM)Elegant Totality Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-05-21, 05:40 PM)wethegreenpeople Wrote: [ -> ]If you're starting it to make money, you're going to have problems.

What kind of problems? And couldn't the problems be sorted out if someone under eighteen partnered with someone older?

Yeah. If you knew some one trust worthy I suppose you could partner up with them. The only problem is, they'd probably be in control of all the business end of things so you'd really have to be working with some one you trust 'cus otherwise they could screw you over pretty easily.