MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: (aw)Full utf8 support in 1.2?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
All functions cannot be tested in this short periode of time we had for beta testing, well I wasn't here that much. I'm not an paid beta tester, we do this freely to try and keep the bugs to an minimal, we can however not find everyone..
sunspark Wrote:Don't rip on Beta testers like laie_techie. They're just everyday users that were invited to test on their own forums. Keep your beefs polite and with the developers. Sheesh, Chris is even discussing this with you privately, I don't see why you've gotta continue being irate.

q-tech Wrote:...the fix is to replace all strtolower with mb_strtolower...

Lots of people don't have Mbyte functionality, so you'd need to check and make sure they do, and if not, then fall back to the original PHP functions.

There's already a my_substr (functions.php) that checks if mb_substr is present and uses it. But the charset is not set scriptwise and the whole effort is useless (unless ppl start configuring php for utf8). It could be implemented for other mb functions too, but instead of reoccuring "if"s, I suggest this check to be made once (in the beginning or set in cfg) and replacement functions associated (thus saving additional code).

Actually lots of ppl (around here) have Mb support in their php as it is often the necessery evil for painless internationalization. It should be made a requirement for MyBB, there should be replacement functions or at least a warning should be displayed in Admin panel if there's no such support.

Though impact on my forums was second to none (two of them are with english content and most are not publicly released yet), I was angry on devs because of the lack of any warning or "sign" in changelog that there's an utf8 migration in progress (which cost me several days to fix). Imagine what joyfull experience it will bring to the russian folks, for example, that just follow your update script and instructions...

CraKteR Wrote:All functions cannot be tested in this short periode of time we had for beta testing, well I wasn't here that much. I'm not an paid beta tester, we do this freely to try and keep the bugs to an minimal, we can however not find everyone..

I agree, but it's not only about the functions themselves. The whole internationalization process of MyBB was neglected by the testers (or they would have spotted these bugs on time).
Speaking on behalf of the devs, On a large Scale release we don't know how or what bugs our product will turn up, until after the release. When they do turn up however, we can address them appropriately. As for testing, we overlooked much of the internationalization - You see we can't predict the future, but we can learn from our mistakes.
tmhai Wrote:
q-tech Wrote:
CraKteR Wrote:All functions cannot be tested in this short periode of time we had for beta testing, well I wasn't here that much. I'm not an paid beta tester, we do this freely to try and keep the bugs to an minimal, we can however not find everyone..

I agree, but it's not only about the functions themselves. The whole internationalization process of MyBB was neglected by the testers (or they would have spotted these bugs on time).

Incorrect. I, as well as ALL THE OTHER TRANSLATORS were given beta access to test our langauges, and report bugs with its display. I can tell you now, there were huge threads dedicated to problems like you had, but the solutions would cut down on features and functionality (for instance the Quick Edit feature had much internationalisation debate). Chris and the other developers tried their best to make functionality their first priority with these problems, then language support; sometimes both were implemented. I have no problems with Greek, and neither did I think there were any problems with German or French. Spanish was the one that struck us, but thats all got to do with the charset values which can be changed in the Admin CP.

Then what was the point of using UTF8 at all if they did not fully adjust the code for it? I don't see how an internationalization would cut off some of the features - as all of the string parsing functions used here could be replaced (take a point here - not made but replaced) with compatible ones (even if there were some like printf).

tmhai Wrote:You shouldnt generalise, I highly doubt that.
Ok, you could send mails to random big hosting companies in EU and ask them if they've got the PHP's MB extension compiled in their servers, if you don't believe me (but even if I'm wrong - you could explain to me how and why a serious hosting company would refuse installing one).

It seems this topic went far off - and as I don't have the time to continue arguing what went wrong with v1.2 I'll just conclude that:

I don't doubt devs intentions in this matter (UTF8 migration), I just try to: question their approach as it obviously seems ineffective, note the fact that nobody warned the users in update's changelog and point out that there's still no bugfix NOR warning anywhere in this site (except here ofc.)

P.S. The main reason I like UTF8 is that it was created to enable full multilanguage support. The main reason I hate it - is that they've made it compatible with the common ISO's so that lazy programmers don't have to rewrite their functions for english (or any other latin based language in that matter)...
Pages: 1 2