MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What are your thoughts on cometchat?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Is it really worth to have on a community? I keep changing my mind back and forward. I like the feature that lets you create a document with your friend at the same time, I think it could be used to create a cooperative thread. I also like that it only allows members of your friend list, takes your avatar, etc. What do you guys thinks?

Here is a quick demo of cometchat running of MyBB http://www.phpchatsoftware.com/mybb/

Also, is it a good idea to have it in a shared hosting? The las thing I need is this feature taking over my database and many resources of my shared hosting.
I never understood the point of chat on top of a forum. The chat just takes away from the forum IMO and I never use it anyway Toungue.
(2012-05-21, 02:30 AM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]I never understood the point of chat on top of a forum. The chat just takes away from the forum IMO and I never use it anyway Toungue.

I used to think that way, but it's getting annoying trying to help new users with no idea of what they're doing over PMs. Plus you gotta admit that the cooperative document creation feature is damn cool for a forum xD.

Do you think it would overload or use many resources of my shared server in a way that could affect my forum?
I have no idea what the resource usage is like (never had it on one of my sites). But, I mean if the main selling point is co-op document creation why not just a service off site that offers that? I can only think of very few topics where this would be used on a regular basis by a lot of members.
(2012-05-21, 02:55 AM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]I have no idea what the resource usage is like (never had it on one of my sites). But, I mean if the main selling point is co-op document creation why not just a service off site that offers that? I can only think of very few topics where this would be used on a regular basis by a lot of members.
Damn it, if someone confirms that won't be much trouble i'm ready to integrate it..

Also, because you are doing it with a member on your forum that's on the forum's chat on a pop up movable window on the forum. I think that gives it a cool feeling Toungue
I know people who use it and love it. It's just not for me. I hear the resource usage is high. But anyway - I'd rather members post on my forum than play games and treat it like Facebook. However, as I said before, I know people who use it and they find it really beneficial.
I used to use it, but yes, the resource usage was high, so I had to take it down.
Also it kills your forum activity, well, for many people, it certainly does.
Yeah I don't feel like using it anymore if the resource usage is high and kills forum activity i think it's a nono.

I was thinking is there any way to create a plugin that allows cooperative thread creation? I think that'll be awesome as heck.
Isn't that what posts are for?
Pages: 1 2