MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What forum inspired you?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Normally most users who create a forum do it because they are a member of a particular forum which has inspired them. For example, I'm guessing many users here who have created a board themselves were inspired by HF.

So what inspired you? If nobody inspired you, then share your story on how you became a forum owner.
It's half 4, go to bed you idiot.

Also, you inspired me.
I'm sure I couldn't find the URL, and it's probably been taken down anyway, but I was first inspired by the JC Scape RSPS forums over at http://www.forumotion.com . I created my own forum there, and was quite sore about how limited it was.

Then, a few months later when I was fazing out of RSPSes, I joined a forum that was running MyBB and wanted to get a shoutbox for the owner, so I came to the mods site, looked around, and then became interested. I made an account on the forums and I finally decided to open my own forum a few months later, and after quite a bit of deliberation I decided on MyBB over phpBB, and I'm so glad I made that choice.
(2012-05-23, 03:30 AM)Spirit Wrote: [ -> ]It's half 4, go to bed you idiot.

Also, you inspired me.

Why are you even up? Your film ended an hour ago. Go away. Thanks btw bby.

@Pxlr: You pretty much remember your whole story, that's quite impressive. To think, you nearly became a php guy.
I got inspired by a PC discussions forum (raymond.cc). Its the most friendly forum i ever been a member of.
Audentio. It's what inspired me to design, webmaster, use MyBB, etc. about 4 years ago.
I was running forums back in the phpBB2 days Smile When it came time to start a new forum I looked around and discovered MyBB.
A now dead forum I was a really active member on.
Site kept being neglected by bad owners who either went power mad and be complete dicks ( or their mod team ) or didn't give a $^#@ about the community and members and just made a good forum and sold it.

Pissed me off so much I didn't want to waste my time anymore on things that'll vanish and since I was sure I could be a 100x times better and nicer owner who would do it for the community and not the profit, I made my own.

Even though these ideals are good, I haven't found a good way to put that in my forum so it results in activity Sad
I'd been a member on several forums for many forums (I started really getting into forums when I was 12 or so). After about 2 years just hanging around forums I started to take an interest in web development and stuff. I started building static sites and became an admin/moderator on several communities round the web. About 3 years ago I decided to try and start my own site. I found MyBB after looking for some free software (all the sites I was on were using vB but I couldn't afford such expense for something I was just trying out back then) and being unimpressed by both phpBB and SMF. I've been with MyBB since (except from for a brief stint using a second hand vB license which I upgraded to 4.0 then promptly sold).
I forgot to mention that http://www.forumotion.com is running phpBB, and I also tried SMF on a hosted site, which I HATED with a flaming passion.
Pages: 1 2 3