MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Blog System
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(2012-05-23, 10:36 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]that works as well, and what i was getting at in my post. the main page/processing should be new content but to have full integration with existing system have the settings/controls be in the ACP, either as a simple plugin file or as a whole module

your index file in /blogs/ would simply include global.php and you code can then use language files which would be editable via the ACP, MyBB settings which would be editable via the ACP, templates which would.... you get the idea.

Its how I built MyShowcase and how others build thier add-on/new content like MyDownloads.

Where you said to have the index file in /blogs/ and include the global.php file is the way I'm going. It's all achievable, I just have to find the time to do it all.

Converting it to a plugin isn't my thing, so I'll take even longer doing that, but I won't be starting that until I have the blog system done.

@brad-t, I agree and think XThreads is a great plugin and could convince some people it's an actual blog application, but the simple fact is, it's not a blog system. What I am building is Wink
I am just wondering what features you will have that could not be replicated in XThreads. I certainly don't want to discourage you from building it -- I would definitely use a full-fledged blog software for MyBB.
(2012-05-23, 10:50 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]I am just wondering what features you will have that could not be replicated in XThreads. I certainly don't want to discourage you from building it -- I would definitely use a full-fledged blog software for MyBB.

that fact that its all part of the forums/threads/posts of the main forum is one thing that keeps me from ever using xThreads. I like my data separate and self-contained. Not just for data integrity purposes, but for easy maintenance.

(2012-05-23, 10:47 PM)TheNova Wrote: [ -> ]Converting it to a plugin isn't my thing, so I'll take even longer doing that, but I won't be starting that until I have the blog system done.

Do you plan on having your own settings and configuration that is compatible, or bridged, to MyBB?

If you are going to try to use the MyBB header and footer via global.php, then a basic plugin for install/uninstall/activate/deactivate would be simple. the ACP will handle simple setting processing, you just have to create them.
The blog won't have anything to do with the forums, it will only use the forums login system and authentication system. It will not interfere with the threads/posts, so in turn won't affect the statistics of the board or the user.

I am really not sure yet. I am looking into a simple plugin for installing and uninstalling, activating and deactivating and I think I may be able to do it.
not to sound harsh or anything, but it sounds like a half-assed solution. either fully integrate it into MyBB or setup some form of bridge system for users/groups.

otherwise it will only be half of what anyone here would want. just being honest
Thanks for being honest.

As I said, I haven't even started a plugin yet, features and what-not are yet to be decided. I've just got the blog system near enough done, when I get round to making a plugin, it will be like a bridge. It already uses the login system, so the groups/promotion system wouldn't be too hard to use with it aswell.
So it is a blog system, and you will create a "merge" for mybb?
I guess so, yes Smile
Pages: 1 2