MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: i5 or i7?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm building a computer and looks like probably be getting the new ivy bridge intels since the sandy brides prices haven't really dropped yet.

I'm just trying to decide whether the hyperthreading is worth the extra $80 or so.

To my understanding I won't really ever take advantage of it since I don't do anything like 3d rendering or video editing.
Nope, unless you do 3D stuff, the hyper threading will likely be useless. Tbh, you could probably get away with a 2500k, 1155 socket, overclock able Smile
Save the money from CPU and put it into GPU.
Ya, but for another $20 I can get the 3570K with the only advantage for the 2500k being the graphic base frequency. Which isn't going to matter with a dedicated graphics card.

Edit: That's why I just wanted to double check labrocca. It seems my personal conclusion was correct.

edit2: Now the final decision is the graphics... Trying to decide to go with a higher single card or going SLI with a couple cheaper cards.
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_value.html

Use that and price compare value for power at Newegg.

Maybe this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814150560

$95 after rebate. I have a similar card by this company. Performs very well.

Seriously performance at this level is about the GPU now. Very rarely is your processor the bottleneck.
I have a 6850 and it's nice Smile I think you can crossfire them too if you need. They're good value for a single card as well Smile
When looking for value why get 2 cards for GPUs? Seems to be counter-productive to what you're trying to achieve which is value.

Also every card added will require more power and create more heat in your system. Unless you're building a $1k+ system I don't advise crossfire or sli.
Yeah, I was just thinking about money saving. I have yet to come across a game that my 6850 can't handle Smile but if you ever needed to you could double up or just upgrade later Smile
(2012-05-25, 08:17 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]I have a 6850 and it's nice Smile I think you can crossfire them too if you need. They're good value for a single card as well Smile

I'm running a 5850 (prior generation, somewhere in between 6850 and 6870 according to most benchmarks), and I have nothing but praise. Runs cool, and plays any game smoothly (at 1080p, skyrim on ultra @ 60fps+, bf3 @ 40fps+ ultra/65fps+ high).

So, what I'm trying to say is, ATIs 5850-6870 are excellent cards and very affordable. SLI/CF isn't ever really worth it, and if you're asking for others opinions, the chances of you actually needing a dual card setup are slim. It becomes a more cost-effective solution down the road though when adding a second card is cheap.

tl;dr 5850 or 6850, whatever is cheapest
Yeah, didn't ATI get told off for their naming scheme? Considering many people would thin a number like HD6350 is better than the HD5850 when infact that is not the case. You are better of going for the higher 5xxx or 6xxx cards (850+). I haven't had the chance to play with any 7000 series cards yet Toungue
Pages: 1 2