MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What is a good "Base" theme?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi again!
I'm looking for a theme that can be customized ENTIRELY, a theme that I could work off of as a... base. I understand and can fully edit CSS, but i have no idea how to make the theme's XML file...

Are there themes out there that I could modify completely and redistribute, without violating the copyright? That, or could somebody tell me what needs to be made in the XML theme file. I don't fully understand the point of it, so I don't know what I need to put there, besides the theme information and to tell the file what stylesheets to depend on.

What stylesheets are needed besides Global.css? Is there an XML template somewhere? I would really prefer to work off an XML template, instead of somebody else's theme. I can make all the images, and fully edit the XML. If it helps, I know HTML/HTML5/CSS/XHTML and a little JavaScript, but only the basics. Please, don't reply "Learn CSS" because that is NOT answering my question at all; it's more the SYSTEM of MyBB theming that i don't understand, NOT the CSS or HTML.

### IF AT ALL POSSIBLE I WOULD LOVE TO USE AN XML TEMPLATE ###

Thanks ~
You don't need to worry about creating the XML file of the theme. MyBB will do that automatically. Simply edit the CSS and templates of the theme and export it. It'll give you an XML file. Smile
(2012-05-27, 01:34 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]You don't need to worry about creating the XML file of the theme. MyBB will do that automatically. Simply edit the CSS and templates of the theme and export it. It'll give you an XML file. Smile

Nice! So I edit Global.css and whatever templates, then export them? If I do this to the MyBB Default theme can I (After sufficient edits) Add my own copyright next to the "Powered by MyBB" thing? I think that's what it says anyway. And just one other question: can I (After changing the paths to the ones where my images are) put the XML file and images folder together, then upload them for other people to use?
(2012-05-27, 02:14 PM)Scois0n Wrote: [ -> ]Nice! So I edit Global.css and whatever templates, then export them?

That's the idea. You might want to create a separate theme/template set so it doesn't affect any other templates or themes.

(2012-05-27, 02:14 PM)Scois0n Wrote: [ -> ]If I do this to the MyBB Default theme can I (After sufficient edits) Add my own copyright next to the "Powered by MyBB" thing? I think that's what it says anyway.

Of course, MyBB is open source software, you're free to do what you want with it. Smile

(2012-05-27, 02:14 PM)Scois0n Wrote: [ -> ]And just one other question: can I (After changing the paths to the ones where my images are) put the XML file and images folder together, then upload them for other people to use?

Indeed you can. We have a Mods Site where users are free to sumit their work designs and work too. Smile
(2012-05-27, 02:25 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-05-27, 02:14 PM)Scois0n Wrote: [ -> ]Nice! So I edit Global.css and whatever templates, then export them?

That's the idea. You might want to create a separate theme/template set so it doesn't affect any other templates or themes.

(2012-05-27, 02:14 PM)Scois0n Wrote: [ -> ]If I do this to the MyBB Default theme can I (After sufficient edits) Add my own copyright next to the "Powered by MyBB" thing? I think that's what it says anyway.

Of course, MyBB is open source software, you're free to do what you want with it. Smile

(2012-05-27, 02:14 PM)Scois0n Wrote: [ -> ]And just one other question: can I (After changing the paths to the ones where my images are) put the XML file and images folder together, then upload them for other people to use?

Indeed you can. We have a Mods Site where users are free to sumit their work designs and work too. Smile

Thanks! Big Grin Gave you some Rep points for your help!