MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Help with DMCA/getting copywritten works removed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I recently sent a very detailed copywrite claim to this host and got this response

Quote:Hello,

Thank you for contacting UnderHost abuse dept.

To be able to continue with your request the following elements must be included in your copyright infringement claim.

*1: Provide evidence of the authorized person to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.

*2: Provide sufficient contact information so that we may contact you via mail. You must also include a valid email address.

*3: You must identify in sufficient detail the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed and including URL under which the material appears hosted in UnderHost servers and be sure the URL content the direct link to the allegedly infringed material hosted on our server and not on thrid party.

*4: A statement that the complaining party has a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law.

*5: A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that the complaining party is authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.

*6: Provide accurate copyright right, from copyrighting authorities from your country must be verifiable with these authorities.

*7: Must be signed by the authorized person to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly being infringed.

*8: An explicit indemnification from you for the benefit of UnderHost Inc., its contractors, its licensors and their respective directors, officers, employees and agents against any claims from the Publisher or other third parties as a result of measures taken by or on behalf of UnderHost Inc. in the context of dealing with the report;

*9: Proof of failed attempts undertaken by you to contact the Publisher and result of these attempts, e.g. emails;

Send the infringement notice via postal mail otherwise we won't even check your issue, thank you in advance to use proper method to contact our client first then sent your DMCA/Copyright claim at our office.

Attn; UnderHost Inc @ Abuse
* 5860 Ave De Repentigny
* Montreal, Quebec
* Zip: H1M 2G6, Canada

Thank you again in advance, we usually proceed within 1 week after you fully agree to send us requested infringement document also make sure all document has been sent has requested as failure to respond properly may invalidate your claim. You need to comply with Canadian copyright act! Everything must be signed!!!

Let us know if you need anything further, we'll be happy to help!
Thank you for choosing UnderHost!

Best Regards,

O'Neil A.
T3 Account Manager Agent
UnderHost Inc.
Canada; 8079501 (NEQ); 1167964551

How can they truly expect me to do all of these things each time someone uses some of my images or uses a ripped theme from my site?
There must be an easier way to go about this??
Welcome to the internet! A place where people can steal anything they want and get away with it most of the times thanks to the anonymity.

Doesn't make it right but, that's really what you need to do if you want to protect your stuff.
Send an e-mail again, also these things quite show how good a host really is.

Could always try to contact their higher ops.
I once needed to help a guy send a DMCA and found out the hosting company wasn't too supportive either, so contacted the place where they hired the rack and soon afterwards got a response the issue was resolved and there was no need for further contact.
(2012-05-30, 12:13 AM)Ansem Wrote: [ -> ]Send an e-mail again, also these things quite show how good a host really is.

Could always try to contact their higher ops.
I once needed to help a guy send a DMCA and found out the hosting company wasn't too supportive either, so contacted the place where they hired the rack and soon afterwards got a response the issue was resolved and there was no need for further contact.

I sent another email and got this response

Quote:They are normal step for copyright infringement notice as stated in laws here in Canada or in Netherlands where this client is hosted, without these document we can't be sure that the content is not owned by our client and but we will forward your complaints if you wish so they can act as they want or we are waiting proper documents signed and sent to our office it can be faxed also to 1-267-695-9376

Let us know if you need anything further, we'll be happy to help!
Thank you for choosing UnderHost!

Best Regards,

I tried explaining that those are extreme and timely measures for someone to go through given the amount of copywrite infringements that I see, but they are being no more helpful and sticking to their guns that I must fill out all that info, get legal signatures, and mail it.. all of which would cost way more time and money than what the copywritten material is worth.
that's not how copyright claims work

unless you actually have legal documents, you're pretty much SOL
(2012-05-30, 12:20 AM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]that's not how copyright claims work

How does labrocca for example get all the hackforum copycats who copy his site's theme, descriptions, etc removed then?
I would assume he actually holds legal rights to that data.
(2012-05-30, 12:41 AM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]I would assume he actually holds legal rights to that data.

I doubt he goes through all the trouble of getting all those documents and mailing them everytime some kid decides to copy him. I'm pretty sure I've read before that he just sends a DMCA takedown to their host.
Perhaps the host is simply honoring his requests. If you don't have a legal leg to stand on, I really don't think they're obliged to assist you.
(2012-05-30, 12:25 AM)wils172 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-05-30, 12:20 AM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]that's not how copyright claims work

How does labrocca for example get all the hackforum copycats who copy his site's theme, descriptions, etc removed then?

I send the host whatever they require.
Pages: 1 2