MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What else can I do?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well my forum (link in signature) is doing okay. My question is, what else can I do and how would I go about doing it.

I have tried to stay away from promotion forums as I do not like the idea of them so I have only promoted here, DP and HF.

How else can I go about getting some dedicated members onto my forum? Is there anything I can do to make YOU want to join it?

Looking for some suggestions as I need some info on how to make the forum better and how to generally do it with other sites.
I've written few suggestions in another post, just pasting them here as well.

Few things needs to be consideration before starting a forum;

1) Use a unique content. Copy pasting from another site will not give you any benefit.
2) Build organic traffic yourself by promoting your site to youtube as videos, tweeting your threads and publishing them on facebook.
3) Dedicate your huge time to your forum. Never sit and relax as the site never grow itself.
4) Use some competitions so users could stay active on your site.
5) Never buy backlinks, as they never give you a legit traffic.
6) Use as much friendly as you can to your site visitors. That needs a good communication skills, good attitude and avoiding cursing to the people.
7) Do not ban people unless they did something massive wrong to your forum.
8) Use a good and unique theme, that attract the users.
9) Do not use controversial topics / articles. Posting them will eventually kill the forum.

If you're sincere about your forum then read these lines as a suggestion.
Thanks for the ideas. Most of them I do/try to do on my forums. I have had around 4 years experiance in forum's it is just getting it active via promotion that is my issue. I may try to get into social promotion more, hopefully that will help.

Another question. I am getting like $100 soon. I was thinking about buying a custom theme from PixelMonkey (not really needed because I already have a custom skin) but do you think I should do something else with it?
(2012-05-30, 05:22 PM)Yaldaram Wrote: [ -> ]9) Do not use controversial topics / articles. Posting them will eventually kill the forum.

I get all of them except this one. Some of the world's most popular forums are also incredibly controversial, if not outright offensive.
(2012-05-30, 05:47 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-05-30, 05:22 PM)Yaldaram Wrote: [ -> ]9) Do not use controversial topics / articles. Posting them will eventually kill the forum.

I get all of them except this one. Some of the world's most popular forums are also incredibly controversial, if not outright offensive.
Yeah I agree Brad. I have always wanted to join in with (or create) a controversial forum and a place where you just go round trolling each other Big Grin
I've seen many times (in many communities) that a site with controversial topics usually die like slow poisoning. People turn hot in no time if the topic has either hatred to one's religion, against political leaders/parties etc. etc. That's why I never suggest to use such topics if you're sincere to your site.

However if you're able enough to cope with the people's reaction then you may experiment at your own risk Toungue
(2012-05-30, 06:23 PM)Roach Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-05-30, 05:47 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]

Yeah I agree Brad. I have always wanted to join in with (or create) a controversial forum and a place where you just go round trolling each other Big Grin

*cough* http://mebes.net *cough*

Shameless promotion. But, it's not my own site so it's cool right? xD