MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How can people say MyBB isn't the best free forum software?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
How come many people rather use phpBB, SMF, Vanilla, or any other top competitors rather than MyBB? I've always been asking myself this as MyBB is clearly the most advanced free forum software there is. It's easily managed and not ugly. There are also a lot of plugins like tabs for example (labrocca's), awards, and if you find the right designer themes look very good. I'm just wondering. Can someone tell me.
It's all preference. Personally for some topics I would use Vanilla over mybb honestly. And, changing software is hard for established communities because there is a decent chance you'll anger some of your base members because people don't like change.
Each to their own. People don't like change. If they've used, say, phpBB for a long time it's what feels natural to them.

I've seen quite a decent amount of people state MyBB is the best. The only people I've seen criticize the product is those that haven't actually used it extensively.
Vanilla imho is an excellently written forum software. It's perfect under certain circumstances like if you have only a few categories and your site isn't meant to be forum centric.

As far as SMF and PHPBB. I have no idea why anyone would use those over MyBB.

There might be advantages to using some of the commercial software like VB, IPB, or XF related to support and features.

But MyBB is clearly a fantastic choice for many circumstances.
mybb, is clearly the best 'free' forum software available today
PHPbb and SMF give me a primitive feeling Toungue
! From what I heard: !
  • SEO phpBB3 > myBB (even with google seo plugin)
  • Templates phpBB3 > myBB (not cached templates stored in the database + lack of php conditionals in templates, such as:
    < !-- if logged in --><a href="#">Log in</a>
    < !-- else -->You are logged in< !-- end -->
  • Server load phpBB3 > myBB

Let's hope 1.8/2.0 will change that.

From my point of view, mybb seems much easier to use though, the plugins etc. But you can always spend a couple of hours to learn phpBB as you know myBB now.
I lol'd at you thinking Phpbb somehow is better for SEO. It has no difference whatsoever.
(2012-06-03, 06:51 PM)Zenk Wrote: [ -> ]
  • SEO phpBB3 > myBB (even with google seo plugin)

I'd say it was worse in some areas. It's not too far off MyBB's in any case.

• Templates phpBB3 > myBB (not cached templates stored in the database + lack of php conditionals in templates, such as:
    < !-- if logged in --><a href="#">Log in</a>
    < !-- else -->You are logged in< !-- end -->

MyBB 2.0 will support template conditionals as far as I'm aware. Templates are cached at startup with a single query currently so I don't see any issue with that.

• Server load phpBB3 > myBB

That has nothing to do with the software. It's calculated by the activity on the server. Infact I'm pretty sure MyBB performs better than phpBB.
You can't get a good answer for this on a mybb forum, most members here are using mybb and think its the best.
@up, True story.
Sorry what I meant with server load, is that the software is faster or more efficient.
Pages: 1 2 3 4