MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Interested in moving community to MyBB...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I am looking to move out company forum from phpBB to MyBB.
Actually, at the moment our community is not in that good shape, so we might just leave it and start everything anew.

I am not familiar with MyBB and the progress of development, so I would just like to find out a few things.

Will there be a new version coming out in the near future?
Is it easy to update to new versions?
When the next number in the series is released (2.0) will it be easy to update to?
I would like to connect Facebook, Twitter and other accounts for sharing forum content and for connecting with our other social communities, what kind of functions are available for this?

Thank you.
MyBB 1.8 is speculated to be released August-Septemberish. However, it will be a facelift for the most part, and it should be quite easy to upgrade.

With new versions, you only need to upload the new files and then run an upgrade script.

About upgrading to 2.0, only the developers are totally sure. It will be a massive change since they will be using a framework and moving to MVC. However, they have promised an upgrade path. It will break plugins and themes because of this massive rewrite.

There is a plugin called iShare which places buttons somewhere in the thread (I believe at the bottom) which allows a user to easily share a thread. I am not knowleddgeable about it though, because I have never used it.
Will they will update the script every so and often and yes you can connect with facebook, I believe there was a plugin for this, mybb is one of the most updated script. Thanks to the developers
There are integration methods for OpenID (including Google accounts), Windows Live, Facebook and Twitter. No LinkedIn integration exists which is probably the one large social network missing.

These may need updating for 1.8 and will probably need completely redoing for 2 but that's a long way off.

I'm sure you're aware of the slight hiccup MyBB has recently suffered- personally I'd wait until the mods site is back before switching.
(2012-06-04, 05:35 AM)damiengolding Wrote: [ -> ]Will there be a new version coming out in the near future?
1.8 is coming in the not-too-distant future.
(2012-06-04, 05:35 AM)damiengolding Wrote: [ -> ]Is it easy to update to new versions?
Yep. Upload some files, sometimes run an upgrade script. There's no having to worry about all your modified files like I believe you do with phpBB.
(2012-06-04, 05:35 AM)damiengolding Wrote: [ -> ]When the next number in the series is released (2.0) will it be easy to update to?
We'll make it as painless as we can; even though it's a core rewrite it'll probably be a similar upgrade method.
(2012-06-04, 05:35 AM)damiengolding Wrote: [ -> ]I would like to connect Facebook, Twitter and other accounts for sharing forum content and for connecting with our other social communities, what kind of functions are available for this?
As above, there are plugins available for this.