MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Instant Messaging.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I think you should add Instant Messaging. Like the CometChat thats like Facebook. I do not know what else to say about it.
It defeats the whole point of a forum. We won't be adding instant messenging to a forum software.
Private messaging is fairly instant. So is posting. :p

Making a 'chat' like interface would not be in our best interest.
OMG! I knew this avatar thing would get to me. I thought that original reply was from you Ryan.

But, on topic what they said Big Grin.
(2012-06-04, 11:30 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]It defeats the whole point of a forum.

That's like saying private messaging defeats the point of a forum.

(2012-06-05, 02:35 AM)Ryan Loos Wrote: [ -> ]Private messaging is fairly instant. So is posting. :p

Yeah, this is true -- I think it's more of a UI/UX issue than a functionality issue.
(2012-06-05, 12:39 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-06-04, 11:30 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]It defeats the whole point of a forum.

That's like saying private messaging defeats the point of a forum.

Imho, it's just as bad a shoutbox.

Why have a shoutbox when you post in a forum?
Why have instant messaging when you can PM someone?

The functionality is already there.

People are more likely to chat to other people in a Facebook-style instant chat instead of posting too. Not because it's private, because it's quicker. I'd rather use MSN to talk to someone who I know is at their computer than send them an email and wait for hours for a reply. That means less posting, less open activity.
The only difference imo is a site owner wants users to post because it creates content for them, so a shoutbox is a bad idea. But PMs don't increase search engine rankings or content whatsoever, so instant messaging would only improve on them. That said I don't want it, just seems like bloat.
I'm not arguing in favour or against an instant messenger. But I think the Messaging system is too clunky as it is. Saying you should keep a feature less convenient in order to increase activity seems like bad reasoning to me.
I would like a chat system.
Threads - For Open Discussion
Private Messaging - For "emails" you want to keep for future reference.
Chat - For just chatting instantly in private, and a group chat.

It makes perfect sense.
(2012-06-05, 09:33 PM)Akshay2598 Wrote: [ -> ]I would like a chat system.
Threads - For Open Discussion
Private Messaging - For "emails" you want to keep for future reference.
Chat - For just chatting instantly in private, and a group chat.

It makes perfect sense.
Facebook has combined the two systems and it works even more perfectly. There is actually very little difference between PMing and chat - the only difference is the instant updating part which makes it truly 'instant'. There is certainly no need for a chat in addition to the PM system.
If anything it would be cool to add auto-updating to PMs. Then we've pretty much got a replica of the Facebook Messages system. Smile
Pages: 1 2