MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: See if an user entered an already existing email during registration
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know it seems quite pointless and all but I think it would be a cool little feature. Because the chances are, if you ban someone and they were a member for a long time, were very HQ and only use one email for most things they're most likely going to type that email inside the box without paying much attention on accident. It could be good for occasions if the user has changed his IP too.

But what if they do it on purpose to harass another member?

Well if that email is of a user that's not banned or limited you can warn that user or notify him of some sort.

I just think it'd be cool like when you view a member's profile you'll see a notification that they attempted to enter an already existing member's email.
By default you cannot register an email address twice, unless I'm missing the point here.
(2012-06-05, 04:36 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]By default you cannot register an email address twice, unless I'm missing the point here.
I know that. This is to suggest that if that happens when you view the user's profile in ACP it will be a notification and what email was attempted so you can search that email in ACP which will lead to the profile and if that profile is ban -> boom.
I'm not really seeing the need to add this.
(2012-06-05, 04:38 AM)Trickshot Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-06-05, 04:36 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]By default you cannot register an email address twice, unless I'm missing the point here.
I know that. This is to suggest that if that happens when you view the user's profile in ACP it will be a notification and what email was attempted so you can search that email in ACP which will lead to the profile and if that profile is ban -> boom.

It's not a very effective system as a whole. It's best suited as a plugin imo.
(2012-06-05, 04:41 AM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not really seeing the need to add this.
If there is no need to add it as default it could be a plugin. You really bother me with your replies as you think you are a MyBB developer.

(2012-06-05, 04:46 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]

Yeah but it would be cool as default in 1.8 since it's supposed to be such an upgrade in design, features, and overall.
(2012-06-05, 04:46 AM)Trickshot Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-06-05, 04:41 AM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not really seeing the need to add this.
If there is no need to add it as default it could be a plugin. You really bother me with your replies as you think you are a MyBB developer.

Wow, all I'm doing is putting in my input just as you are with creating this topic...

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. After all, this project is support by it's community.

(2012-06-05, 04:46 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]

Yeah but it would be cool as default in 1.8 since it's supposed to be such an upgrade in design, features, and overall.

I don't see any real point in adding it. It'll catch a very small amount of people trying to ban evade.

Also, take this scenario:

User A is banned for 1 week.
User B doesn't like User A and registers an account (User C), attemping to use User A's email address first.
Admin bans User C as it's a 'duplicate account' of User A
Admin bans User A for 3 months for registering a duplicate account
User A trys to login 1 week later to find his account banned for 3 months
User A decides to leave the forum as the Admin has performed a false action againist their account
Admin loses a member

A feature like this is dangerous as it doesn't provide any accurate information.