MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [1.8] Allow Ordering Forums by Dragging
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I really like the ability to drag for selecting permissions -- it makes things really simple. However, sometimes when I add a section, I want to change its order. However, I already have a million numbers typed in, and it is kind of annoying changing all of them just to get one forum changed.

That's why I propose an overhaul of the forum ordering system.

Basically, what would happen, is a category would be a semitransparent gray box (a drop zone). Any forums (draggable) that are placed in there are put into that category, in the order in which they are placed.

I believe jQuery UI would make this FAIRLY simple... It isn't insanely easy, I'd imagine, but it would be an extremely neat feature to have in the newly designed ACP.
If the 1.8 use jquery this is really easy by plugins or tuts...
(2012-06-08, 01:59 AM)Solstice Wrote: [ -> ]If the 1.8 use jquery this is really easy by plugins or tuts...

It'd be part of the ACP though.
I'm really trying to make it as lightweight as possible; not add dozens of effects. Undecided
(2012-06-08, 09:48 AM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]I'm really trying to make it as lightweight as possible; not add dozens of effects. Undecided

Isn't MyBB also supposed to be relatively easy to use? The current forum ordering system is very unwieldy if you have more than 25 sections.
It's not that, to be able to offer full functionality we'd need to show the full forum tree - which includes all sub forums and categories (currently, we show only the parent and immediate child). Then we would need to work on ensuring that if you move a forum to another parent that all subsequent threads and posts are moved too.

So, while not impossible, there are more important things to be working on.
(2012-06-08, 02:51 PM)StingReay Wrote: [ -> ]Isn't MyBB also supposed to be relatively easy to use? The current forum ordering system is very unwieldy if you have more than 25 sections.

It's no more simple than 1, 2 ,3!

If this isn't something you're going to look at for 1.8 then why not 2.0?