MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Cache
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I suggest to add cache. Phpbb has this feature in core, why mybb is not? And I think it's extremely needed feature to speed up forum engine and reduce a server load. I advise to add this feature in future versions.
MyBB already has three systems which use caching.

Settings - ./inc/settings.php is a cache of the settings in the database.

Datacache - Probably the most obvious. Cache via files, database, memcache, xcache, eaccelerator, and I've also written a handler for APC for 1.8.

Stylesheets - All stylesheets are cached in ./cache/themes/. They can optionally be loaded directly from the database but this is rarely the case.

What caching do you have in mind?
(2012-06-11, 07:17 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB already has three systems which use caching.

Datacache - Probably the most obvious. Cache via files, database, memcache, xcache, eaccelerator, and I've also written a handler for APC for 1.8.

Stylesheets - All stylesheets are cached in ./cache/themes/. They can optionally be loaded directly from the database but this is rarely the case.

APC O.O ??? WOW NEW FEATURES THERE Toungue Just Kidding..

So the current $cache is what is know as file caching?
(2012-06-11, 07:19 PM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-06-11, 07:17 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB already has three systems which use caching.

APC O.O ??? WOW NEW FEATURES THERE Toungue Just Kidding..

So the current $cache is what is know as file caching?

The current $cache variable is an object of the DataCache class. By default it uses a database cache (using the datacache table), but you can use memcache, file cache etc by modifying the /inc/config.php file.
I mean when user modify something in a thread, it stored in DB of course and as a file. So when someone open a thread Mybb just need to load cached html file and maybe add there some data about time and statuses. I've seen a temp folder in phpbb where cached pages are stored. Mybb does not have such folder.
No, we do not have such a system. I really don't think we should. Threads are changed so often caching them is completely and utterly pointless IMO. Caches should be used for data that is not often changed.
I can see a case for caching old threads - but not as a core feature.
for a large forum, that is a big hit to the file system in terms of backups and such. big forums have a lot of old threads and thus would have a large number of files. but how often are old threads accessed anyway?
I reckon a technique like IPB uses whereby you can choose for old threads to be archived is a good idea. Then threads of a certain age are only accessible via the archive mode.
depends on the content. much of my content is reference/technical in nature so having to go into archive mode would not be beneficial. however, for more dynamic content (general OT, sports, gaming) it may be a viable solution.
Pages: 1 2