MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How Do I Upgrade to PHP Version 5.4.3?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was wondering how you upgrade your PHP Version on myBB, as mine is still 5.2.17. And does myBB 1.6.8 support 5.4.3?
You'll have to contact your webhost. This is out of the scope of MyBB support.

MyBB 1.6.8 should work fine on PHP 5.4.3 although it hasn't been officially tested. A few changes which are going to be implemented in MyBB 1.6.9 should fix quite a few potential errors you might encounter.
Thanks Nathan, would you know how HostGator works with updating the php version?
You'll have to contact them and ask. Most webhosts are still on PHP 5.2 merely because of compatibility between scripts users are hosting.

They might be able to move your account to another server with PHP 5.4 installed but you shouldn't hold your breathe.
Okay, is there really any point to even upgrade from 5.2.17?
There are pros and cons but a large amount of MyBB forums are currently running on PHP 5.2. Future versions of MyBB might require a newer PHP version to install MyBB but until then you can safely use MyBB on PHP 5.2 servers without any issues. Smile
Okay, I think I might just stick with 5.2. I'm scared it might cause problems I don't want and i'll wait for you guys to officially test out 5.4 so we know for sure it doesn't contain errors, and of course wait for official support on 1.6.9. Thanks for the support!
Hostgator will take their time upgrading to PHP 5.4. However even though your PHP version is 5.2.17 all Hostgator servers also run PHP 5.3.(12, I think). You just need to add the following lines to your root .htaccess file:

# Use PHP 5.3
AddType application/x-httpd-php53 .php

(If you need support on this, start a ticket @ HG Wink).
(2012-06-12, 01:40 PM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]Hostgator will take their time upgrading to PHP 5.4. However even though your PHP version is 5.2.17 all Hostgator servers also run PHP 5.3.(12, I think). You just need to add the following lines to your root .htaccess file:

# Use PHP 5.3
AddType application/x-httpd-php53 .php

(If you need support on this, start a ticket @ HG Wink).

Thanks for the support Tomm, I truly appreciate it!