MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Paid Skin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is a basic question but just wanted to make sure if it's legal. Are we allowed to make custom skins for MyBB and sell it?

I can't see it in the License that's why I ask Toungue
Hmm, considering the forums software itself is free, that's pretty ironic to hope people would pay for skins. If anything, I'd pay for MyBB if I had to before an mods I'd want to add to it.Wink
Thanks GP for the point. But why is it that there are also paid skins for phpBB and I'm sure they're many who buy it. Also take a look with vBulletin. It's price is $85 - $160 but why do people pay more than that for a CUSTOM SKIN only?
No idea why they do to be honest.Toungue I'm not saying people wouldn't pay, I'm more or less just stating what I'd be more likely to pay for.Wink
I believe it is Not a breach of agreement, so yes. You can do that if yo wish so.
triphp Wrote:Thanks GP for the point. But why is it that there are also paid skins for phpBB and I'm sure they're many who buy it. Also take a look with vBulletin. It's price is $85 - $160 but why do people pay more than that for a CUSTOM SKIN only?

Those skins are really customized, their templates are totally different. If you are gonna do that, sure, but I believe not many people will buy it...(mybb is free and good, thats why we come? right?)
If you want to get money for you designs, you should change the software and make designs for IPB, vBulletin or phpBB. (which is allready free!)

I just made some custom mybb themes, but the fact is, that you can earn more money if you design for other softwares.
If you make a good custom theme it's easy enough to move it to any forums software. I have made skins for phpbb, mybb, VB, and punbb. It's not that hard.

And people pay for custom skins as they should...the software itself is NOT custom. If someone took the time to write a custom forums for 1 site only..damn skippy they would want to get paid. BTW..I donated this week to mybb (chris) so don't think I do not appreciate the mybb programmers.
i would pay for a custom theme, but not that much.