MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Unable to send email via gmail
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all,

I know this problem has been asked several times and I have searched and tried various solutions, but none of them works, so I am here for some help.

I am running MyBB on a VPS with Debian 6 32 bit installed. I can confirm port 465 is not blocked:
telnet smtp.gmail.com 465
Trying 209.85.225.108...
Connected to gmail-smtp-msa.l.google.com.
Escape character is '^]'.

Here are my settings:
[Image: MQwDn.jpg]

However I am unable to get any email and the only error message I see is:

Unable to connect to the mail server with the given details.<br /><br />:

Normally for most of the people, there is a more detailed message after this, however there is none for me.

I have uncommented extension=php_openssl.dll as per this thread:

http://community.mybb.com/thread-64464.html

Could someone please help? I am running the latest version of MyBB and PHP.

Thanks!
SMTP password should be your Gmail password, not your Gmail email.
(2012-06-18, 03:44 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]SMTP password should be your Gmail password, not your Gmail email.

There was an error with my previous screenshot (the pop up box was not wide enough), I have corrected that, I did type in the password Smile

Thanks for your help!
These settings work for everyone I've suggested them to.. as well as myself with gmail AND google apps / domain accounts:

SMTP hostname: tls://smtp.gmail.com
SMTP port: 465
SMTP Encryption Mode: No encryption

Google doesn't give the above host name in their setup directions and the TLS encryption option in MyBB settings doesn't seem to always work.. I dunno why.. but the above settings is the only way I got Google email service to work as the Forum email handler.
I guess I must be really jinxed then...

[Image: r3s22.jpg]

Thanks for your help though.

(2012-06-18, 04:18 AM)GunnerAIO Wrote: [ -> ]These settings work for everyone I've suggested them to.. as well as myself with gmail AND google apps / domain accounts:

SMTP hostname: tls://smtp.gmail.com
SMTP port: 465
SMTP Encryption Mode: No encryption

Google doesn't give the above host name in their setup directions and the TLS encryption option in MyBB settings doesn't seem to always work.. I dunno why.. but the above settings is the only way I got Google email service to work as the Forum email handler.
No not jinxied.. something's up here... and it should be fixable.

If you have 2 step verification you would need to make an application authorization password for your website to use the gmail.
Make sure you use a strong password in gmail and paste exactly that as your login password.
If you are using a Google Apps account which the administrator is not you, you may have issues.
make sure you put in your user name as your gmail account email in lowercase.
(I've had Dreamweaver issues before where entering the login email with uppercase in it did not connect.. that's why I say make sure lowercase)

Edit:
If your not able to make this work with MyBB, your domain, and Google...
I would first try all MyBB options you can find, then contact your host and see if anything strange might be happening with them, and then if you can't get a hold of a Google rep, make a Google apps account with your domain name (verify it.. takes a couple days at most, you'll need to make changes with your DNS) and make a user account specifically for handling forum emails (not support emails).
Thanks for your reply and detailed explanation.

I am using Google Apps for my own domain, also tried it using my personal gmail credentials, did not help. The Google Apps email I used is the admin (and the only) email address for that domain and there is no 2 step authentication. email address is all in lower case in MyBB settings.

I am running my own VPS so I have root access to the box, the same Nginx + PHP-FPM + MySQL set up has been worked successfully with a Wordpress installation sending emails out using GMail (using a plug-in).

Is there anything else I am missing here?

Thanks so much for your help!
(2012-06-18, 05:00 AM)GunnerAIO Wrote: [ -> ]No not jinxied.. something's up here... and it should be fixable.

If you have 2 step verification you would need to make an application authorization password for your website to use the gmail.
Make sure you use a strong password in gmail and paste exactly that as your login password.
If you are using a Google Apps account which the administrator is not you, you may have issues.
make sure you put in your user name as your gmail account email in lowercase.
(I've had Dreamweaver issues before where entering the login email with uppercase in it did not connect.. that's why I say make sure lowercase)

Edit:
If your not able to make this work with MyBB, your domain, and Google...
I would first try all MyBB options you can find, then contact your host and see if anything strange might be happening with them, and then if you can't get a hold of a Google rep, make a Google apps account with your domain name (verify it.. takes a couple days at most, you'll need to make changes with your DNS) and make a user account specifically for handling forum emails (not support emails).
Up, nobody knows?
(2012-06-19, 02:30 PM)zhuanyi Wrote: [ -> ]Facing same issue ..nobody here knows?????