MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Local DNS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, who here has set up a local DNS server? I just got through setting mine up and it was a bit of a pain, but it's awesome being able to type in p4nther.wtf and get my web dev box, or s3khmet.wtf and get my minecraft/dns/linux playground box- er, laptop. Plus it puts a bit of pep in my page load times due to faster DNS resolves since it caches DNS lookups outside of it's authoritative domain (of the whole .wtf TLD).

Of course, I set it up to only allow queries to it from within my network (not that outside traffic can get to it through 2 routers that block unwanted outside traffic), as well as not send updates to anywhere ever for any reason.

Now, if I could find out how to get my Airport Extreme to see my 192.168.1.0/24 network, I could set it to use my DNS and let my wireless devices use it too...
Quote:it's awesome being able to type in p4nther.wtf and get my web dev box, or s3khmet.wtf and get my minecraft/dns/linux playground box- er, laptop.

You can also do that by modifying your hosts file
Which is useless if the point of the exercise was to make it so one wouldn't have to modify the hosts file on every computer in the network, and keep them all in sync, and make sure they don't get overwritten by some shady software, and on top of all of that learn how to configure BIND to serve a domain.
May I ask how you got it to work on the entire router? I tried changing my routers DNS server IP but none of the computers would use those DNS rules. I have dd-wrt on it, I tried changing it back to factory but it won't go for the life of me.
You should just be able to specify a DNS server and place it as an internal IP.
On most routers, you can control what DNS server it gives out with DHCP. That way you can set up a LAN party and everyone who brings a computer can see your server without editing HOSTS files and dealing with IPs. Unfortunately my router's acting up and ATM I have to manually specify my DNS server.

I personally have my netspace divided up as such: 192.168.1.1 is the router (duh); 192.168.1.2-32 are reserved for static IPs such as printers, servers, etc.; and 192.168.1.33-250 are divvied out by DHCP. My DNS cache/server is .2, and my testbed web server is .3 when it's running.

Eventually when I move out on my own I'll have my netspace divvied up similar to the above, except it'll be 192.168.0.0/24 instead, and use 192.168.1.0/24 for WiFi.

My network is a little overly complicated ATM, since my router is basically acting like a glorified switch being fed by a wireless bridge because I don't want to run wires haphazardly through walls downstairs (though it would fit in with the rest of my house's wiring. House built when electricity was new FTW). I wish I could upgrade my wireless router but my family doesn't want to deal with reconfiguring every single device in the house (and IDK if it would work with my bridge, since all of my wireless is Apple Sad).

I like networking, when I can get it to work.
(2012-06-23, 10:02 PM)Firestryke31 Wrote: [ -> ]On most routers, you can control what DNS server it gives out with DHCP. That way you can set up a LAN party and everyone who brings a computer can see your server without editing HOSTS files and dealing with IPs. Unfortunately my router's acting up and ATM I have to manually specify my DNS server.

I personally have my netspace divided up as such: 192.168.1.1 is the router (duh); 192.168.1.2-32 are reserved for static IPs such as printers, servers, etc.; and 192.168.1.33-250 are divvied out by DHCP. My DNS cache/server is .2, and my testbed web server is .3 when it's running.

Eventually when I move out on my own I'll have my netspace divvied up similar to the above, except it'll be 192.168.0.0/24 instead, and use 192.168.1.0/24 for WiFi.

My network is a little overly complicated ATM, since my router is basically acting like a glorified switch being fed by a wireless bridge because I don't want to run wires haphazardly through walls downstairs (though it would fit in with the rest of my house's wiring. House built when electricity was new FTW). I wish I could upgrade my wireless router but my family doesn't want to deal with reconfiguring every single device in the house (and IDK if it would work with my bridge, since all of my wireless is Apple Sad).

I like networking, when I can get it to work.

You should be able to just setup a new router with the exact same SSID and password and everyone will connect fine
We tried that. For some inexplicable reason (read: Apple) it didn't work. Oh well, since my dedicated 2GB RAM 1.7GHz MineCraft Server/DNS server with built in UPS (i.e. laptop from '05) is not there at the moment (I took it with me on the road), having the entire network looking for it would lead to poor performance.
It won't work. The mac addresses will be different. They should authenticate properly. You would have to reinput the passwords. It depends how the passwords are stored on the device. I'm fairly sure they use the mac of the router as some kind of salt but I am guessing. Either way, it won't work. Even when I had 2 identical routers I couldn't switch without re-entering passwords Toungue