MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Skating With Us
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
[Image: TXnBF.png]

Hey guys, I'm here to introduce my new forum, Skating with us.

I made skating with us when I realized that not a single person I know just skateboards or just longboards but when you longboard you usually do a bit of skateboarding too, so why not have a forum where all skaters can be happy.

And we don't just cater to the usual longboarders and skateboarders, we also have forums for our Freebord and freeline skating friends. We have a super cool youtube gallery, for you to check out (and we also have a simple registration page. Does that get me points with brad?)

Our goals for the future is to get a bunch of different kinds of skaters and expand our forums even more.

So we hope you can come down and check us out, let me know what you think. And if you like to skate at all, please do join us!

http://skatingwith.us
Err' one start skating and hit us up with a join!
The theme looks really messed up to me. Not sure how it's meant to look, but I'm guessing it's not like this: http://i.imgur.com/UZPQt.png
(2012-06-20, 11:46 PM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]The theme looks really messed up to me. Not sure how it's meant to look, but I'm guessing it's not like this: http://i.imgur.com/UZPQt.png

This makes me feel bad since everything looks okay to me. What exactly looks wrong to you?
Looks like a terrific project. I see you finally installed a favicon, good job and God bless.
There's bits on the theme which look weird, it kind of brings the rest of the quality down. Like the navigation toplinks, I hate that effect. It seems low quality and that of horrid free themes. I would redesign the header completely if I'm honest, the logo doesn't go with the dark style either. I think the skating niche could result in awesome custom themes if you were to invest in getting one designed, that's something I would look into.

As for the rest. I like the latest videos sidebar. I think you should scrap statuses completely and replace it with "latest threads". I'm not a fan of the amount of sections - all be it better than most we see showcased here - it's still pretty ambitious to be able to fill each section daily with content. I would get rid of every single media sub forum in the bottom category.

To summarise, I would have the site redesigned, I would cut down on the sections and then I would hit YouTube and message skating fans about the forum in a polite manner. You will find a lot more skating fans there than here Smile.

Good luck mate.
(2012-06-21, 01:13 AM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]There's bits on the theme which look weird, it kind of brings the rest of the quality down. Like the navigation toplinks, I hate that effect. It seems low quality and that of horrid free themes. I would redesign the header completely if I'm honest, the logo doesn't go with the dark style either. I think the skating niche could result in awesome custom themes if you were to invest in getting one designed, that's something I would look into.
I can re-do the header that's not a problem. And I thought a logo with color was nice because it adds some color to a grey theme Toungue

And I'd love to buy a custom theme. And it's definitely something I can save up for and do in the future, but I can't afford it now.

(2012-06-21, 01:13 AM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]As for the rest. I like the latest videos sidebar. I think you should scrap statuses completely and replace it with "latest threads". I'm not a fan of the amount of sections - all be it better than most we see showcased here - it's still pretty ambitious to be able to fill each section daily with content. I would get rid of every single media sub forum in the bottom category.
I can scrap statuses. I thought it'd be nice to have for a while while I was setting up the site. To talk to myself >.>

But how would you cut down on the amount of sections? Everything is pretty bare bones as it is. I cut about 3 sections before I showcased the site.

Also, you can't actually post in the media subforums. They redirect you to the appropriate category in the video gallery.

(2012-06-21, 01:13 AM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]To summarise, I would have the site redesigned, I would cut down on the sections and then I would hit YouTube and message skating fans about the forum in a polite manner. You will find a lot more skating fans there than here Smile.

Good luck mate.

Yeah, that was my plan was to hit up youtube. But I was going to do it after I posted on MyBB so I could get some improvement ideas since I knew it wasn't perfect haha.

But thank you so much. Big Grin
(2012-06-21, 01:29 AM)wethegreenpeople Wrote: [ -> ]I can re-do the header that's not a problem. And I thought a logo with color was nice because it adds some color to a grey theme Toungue

And I'd love to buy a custom theme. And it's definitely something I can save up for and do in the future, but I can't afford it now.

It's a nice logo, it just doesn't go with the theme. I understand why you did it though. Smile

Quote:I can scrap statuses. I thought it'd be nice to have for a while while I was setting up the site. To talk to myself >.>

Lol yeah scrap those, replace it with latest threads.

Quote:But how would you cut down on the amount of sections? Everything is pretty bare bones as it is. I cut about 3 sections before I showcased the site.

Now that I've looked at it and seen that Media isn't actually a section, it's not too bad. I would eventually scrap one of the skating types like "Long boards" or "Snow boards", whichever is the least active. It will be a hard task keeping all of those active at once.

Quote:Yeah, that was my plan was to hit up youtube. But I was going to do it after I posted on MyBB so I could get some improvement ideas since I knew it wasn't perfect haha.

But thank you so much. Big Grin

No worries man Smile. It's only small things that need touch-ups, like theming and the side bar, the rest is good to go. Though I would look to get a custom theme ASAP, they really really help.[/quote]
Would be great if the videos opened in a lightbox/modal.

I largely agree with Anxiety. In particular, I feel like there should be more color and more style. Skateboarding has a rich visual history and it seems sort of a waste to not draw on it. I mean, those recoloured default buttons are just sad.
(2012-06-21, 01:07 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]Would be great if the videos opened in a lightbox/modal.

I largely agree with Anxiety. In particular, I feel like there should be more color and more style. Skateboarding has a rich visual history and it seems sort of a waste to not draw on it. I mean, those recoloured default buttons are just sad.

The videos from the side bar? I can do that... but than they don't get taken to the page where the comments are, and can't join in on the conversation. And that doesn't seem like a good idea....

Alright than... it seems this theme has not blown over well, even as a temp until I get a custom one haha. Should I be searching for another theme? Or should I just leave this one and try to get a custom one ASAP.
Pages: 1 2 3