MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: 2 Forums 1 Database
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Appologies to the title ^^

I have 2 forums on seperate hosting accounts, but have 1 MySQL database. I was wondering if it was possible to connect both the forums to the single database?

Thanks
Not through any normal circumstances.

You'd have to change a lot of the core functions to make something like that work.

EDIT:

I think an alternative that might work is if you installed the 2 forums under 1 database but each used their own prefixes.

Then disabled the registrations for both forums.

Custom create a registration form that inputs the user info into BOTH database.

At least then, it'll appear like both forums uses the same user accounts.
You'd need an additional plug in to sync all password changes as well.
Say if it wasnt a forum and just a website, would it be possible then?
It would depend on the CMS (Content Management Software) that you're using.

Like Wordpress, Joomla, etc.

Some of the software has bridges to MyBB, some do not.

But I came up with a theory that could work in the last post, it could at least allow the user accounts to appear shared.

I'm using a similar method, but I had to get someone to custom create it.
If you want to have 2 installations under the same database you need to setup the second with a different database prefix during the installation.
do you want to share the data in the database or just the database itself?

you can setup remote access hosts on the server with the database you want to connect to and then simply configure MyBB on the other server to use the first server's settings for the DB. Instead of localhost for the servername, use the FQDN or IP of the first server and the credentials for it.
Only problem then is the same issue I'm facing. You change settings on say, mirror.forum.com, and it messes up main.forum.com MyBB install...
Remote MySQL could be used.
www.2forums1database.com

I can see it now.