MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Posting user specific threads?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi MyBB community. I am currently running MyBB 1.6 and have a question about a function I am seeking. As of now, I am aware that you can setup user permissions to only see their own posts. However, I am trying to utilize MyBB as a client portal for some of my clients, and I am trying to make it so that I can post threads in which only they can see.

Is there a way (without making a usergroup for every client) that I could post a thread only visible to specific users?

For example, I could post a project thread that would display details of a project. I would only want a specific user to see it. Almost like setting up permissions but by user instead of group.

I have thought of the possibility of posting the threads through the client's accounts and then disabling their ability to edit it, but I am still curious if there is a more efficient way in which I,as an administrator, could facilitate.

Thanks for any help provided.
Its not possible by default. You would need a plugin.
(2012-06-26, 06:43 PM)Yaldaram Wrote: [ -> ]Its not possible by default. You would need a plugin.

Are there any plugins you know of that can do this? Or would I have to develop it myself?
No such plugin as far as I searched. You've to hire someone or code it yourself.
You can also use ZingaBurga's conditional templates and set the user id of the client as the one who can see it.
(2012-06-26, 07:46 PM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]You can also use ZingaBurga's conditional templates and set the user id of the client as the one who can see it.

I just downloaded the Template Conditionals template. Do you know how I would specify a user using this? It did not come with any type of instruction.

I appreciate it leefish Smile
well, you can use <if><then> constructs. For example:

<if in_array($GLOBALS['mybb']->user['uid'], array(1,15)) then>
stuff for the uids above
<else>
This is a private thing. Get lost.
</if>

This is a situation where XThreads would come in really handy.
(2012-06-26, 10:38 PM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]well, you can use <if><then> constructs. For example:

<if in_array($GLOBALS['mybb']->user['uid'], array(1,15)) then>
stuff for the uids above
<else>
This is a private thing. Get lost.
</if>

This is a situation where XThreads would come in really handy.

That sounds good, but I need it to apply a different restriction to EVERY unique thread. And I do not want other clients to see anything except what is relevant to their business. So a "You do not have permission to this thread" would not work, as I do not want them to see the thread at all if they do not have permission.
ok, so you have several clients, each one has multiple threads, but all of those threads are for a specific project. Are they all of those threads in the same area? That is, can you use a forum per user and in each forum set the view permission on index to (pseudo code)

<if forum X and user id=y or z then>
show
<if>

It is quite hard to advise only having a vague idea of what it is about, but if you expect multiple threads then a forum approach would work.

Examples:
You can make each client the moderator of that forum only and use the specific username to set a moderator permission. Then you can make it so only the moderator of the forum can see it. You can even give them a forum password.

or

If you want one thread and multiple posts in the topic then you can put them all in one area.