MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Database backup to cloud
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Now skydrive, google drive, dropbox, box and more cloud players are in market and they assure our files due to their experience and corporate behaviour.

also it is free to use

Google drive - 5 gb
skydrive - x gb
dropbox - 5 gb
box - 2gb
Adrive - 50 gb (compliacted, need captcha to login, so not recommended)

so anyway to autobackup database to cloud daily with timestamp(date is enough)

because now backup is very important, if you lose a database means, you lost all

so anyway to add this as default feature , but it will be cool atleast with mods too
That's something that should be handled at server level, via cron jobs. MyBB shouldn't handle such tasks. It's not even recommended to use the database backup task as it is because of how intensive it is.
so mate, we need any external script to do this.....?? or possible my mods....??

now networks are high speed gbits or atleast 100mbps, also if we coded correctly, during low load time range it do the backup so it can manage the resource.....?
There are tons of tutorials around the internet that will tell you how to backup a databse automatically with a cron job and have uploaded to an external server. I don't know of any cloud(for personal use) service that supports ftp though.
will check it out.

i thought something internal things within mybb will do this better than external
Either way it would require something like ftp to transfer the files and a cron-job is much more reliable.
(2012-06-27, 02:16 PM)feastboy Wrote: [ -> ]so mate, we need any external script to do this.....?? or possible my mods....??

now networks are high speed gbits or atleast 100mbps, also if we coded correctly, during low load time range it do the backup so it can manage the resource.....?

100mbsp or 1gbps is for on-network only; once you leave your network it drops down considerably (the fastest my colo offers is 50mbps).

If your server is *nix, write a shell script which takes a snapshot of your database in a tgz format, then encrypts it, then shoots it to your cloud account. Please note that such a script needs your database credentials, the encrypting key (and possibly initializing vector), and your cloud credentials. Looking at your access logs you can determine when to set up your cron job.