MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Remember Me is messed up!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been having this problem for (I guess) about a month now. Until now, I've regarded it as a minor annoyance, but it's starting to get annoying.

Problem: When I visit http://www.books.empirehostings.net/ I am immediately logged in to my Admin account. That's okay with me. However, after browsing for a while, I get logged out (usually after around 3 clicks, such as, browse to index, browse to the Off-topic board, go to reply to post). I then log in again, problem gone. The crazy thing is I can log in, then log out normally, then come back - and I'll be logged in.

What I have tried:
  • Clearing Browser Cache/Cookies (not sure which, but its the one that stores data for Online Games, such as Level reached)
  • Changing the cookie domain in the ACP (worked for a while)

What can I do?

E: Just a quick clarification on the title, as I realize it may be misleading - I have a hunch that it's the Remember Me function that's messing up, because once I left that unticked, and I was logged out pretty quickly after.
Your cookie domain should be: books.empirehostings.net an your cookie path should be /

http://community.mybb.com/thread-74904.html
(2012-06-30, 09:53 AM)vernier Wrote: [ -> ]Your cookie domain should be: books.empirehostings.net an your cookie path should be /

http://community.mybb.com/thread-74904.html

I tried that via FTP. Locked myself out of the ACP.

I tried that via the ACP, and it didn't work.
Your cookie settings seem fine to me. Is this issue happening for others on the board at all? I've never experienced any kind of similar issue. has the login template been modified at all? It may be the remember me code is incorrect.
Well, I logged in using my other Admin account.
Here's what happened.

1. Opened the website
  2. Logged out from my main account
  3. Logged in using my alternate account
  4. Closed the Tab
  5. Re-entered the forum.
  6. Noticed that at the top right, it stated "Welcome Back Seabody" (Seabody being my main account)
  7. Went to log out
  8. Got a messsage saying that my ID could not be verified...
  9. Returned to index. The top right now said "Welcome back Robot" (Robot being my secondary account)
  10. Logged out (again)
  11. Noticed that now I was properly logged out.

All this time, I had left "Remember Me" ticked.

I don't recall changing the Login Template.
Okay, I went through the instructions that vernier linked. Carefully this time. I was locked out of the ACP for a time, but I finally fixed it, I believe.

What I did, was that I edited settings.php - to the right settings this time. I also checked its permissions (I use cPanel), which were 644. I changed it to 666, per the instructions.
Cookie Domain: books.empirehostings.net
Cookie Path: /

I then cleared my cookies. Then I logged in to the ACP and made perfectly sure that it was the same. I then proceeded to log out normally, then I went back - and I wasn't logged in at all (result!).

To try to avoid this problem in future, I intend to log out properly each time.