MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Showing upcoming events
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Not really a code modification, but...

Basically I wanted to include the next 5 events from the MyBB calendar on the front page of the site, but due to the retarded way that MyBB stores the date format (I mean, there's a date type in MySQL for a reason, rather than using some dodgy string which isn't even fixed length - caused me a major headache), caused me some problems.

I had to do a pretty convuluted SQL query to get it do to this, so I decided to paste the code I had here to save other people the trouble.

Basically, the query takes the date as stored it in the table and converts it into a form that allows easy ordering and comparison against a current date (this form is Ymd).

The SQL query is as follows:

SELECT date,eid,subject FROM mybb_events WHERE private != 'yes' AND CONCAT(RIGHT(date, 4), CONCAT(REPEAT('0', 2-LENGTH( TRIM('-' FROM SUBSTRING(date, -7, 2)))), TRIM('-' FROM SUBSTRING(date, -7, 2))), CONCAT(REPEAT('0', 2-LENGTH( TRIM('-' FROM LEFT(date, 2)))), TRIM('-' FROM LEFT(date, 2)))) > " . gmdate('Ymd') . " ORDER BY CONCAT(RIGHT(date, 4), CONCAT(REPEAT('0', 2-LENGTH( TRIM('-' FROM SUBSTRING(date, -7, 2)))), TRIM('-' FROM SUBSTRING(date, -7, 2))), CONCAT(REPEAT('0', 2-LENGTH( TRIM('-' FROM LEFT(date, 2)))), TRIM('-' FROM LEFT(date, 2)))) ASC LIMIT 5

The limit 5 at the end only returns the latest 5 things. You can set it to return more if you want by altering that number.

With the results of the query, I did something like:

while ($array = mysql_fetch_array($query)) {
			$output .= "<p class=\"center\">" . $array['date'] . "<br />" . '<a href="/forum/calendar.php?action=event&amp;eid=' . $array["eid"] . '">' . $array["subject"] . "</a></p>";
		}

But you can do anything really...

Hope this helps Smile
And apparantely that breaks the skin, at least in Firefox.