MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Backing up data
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
any tips on how to back up the data of the forum in use and how to upload it?

Where is all the data for the forum kept?

Thanks! Smile
You can use phpmyadmin to backup your data.

All data is stored in the mysql database.
and where can I find the SQL database?

Sorry for my ignorance but I asked the people who host my forum (lowcostnames) and they were no help.
You have to see if your host has phpmyadmin software running for you to access. I looked at their site and they don't list cpanel. You can also get external dumps from sites like

http://www.phpdump.org/dump.php (my site btw...and I don't log any passwords or anything bad)
Thanks!

As you can tell, I'm new to all this!

What is the

Database host
Database name
Sorry for all the questions! Smile
most scripts that needs a db use these connections to retrive info or place info into the database
//database config
$dbuser="username";       //database user username
$dbpass="password";       //database user password
$dbserver="localhost";     //database server (usually localhost)
$dbname="webforum";     //database name

all this should have been setup in phpmyadmin when the forum were installed the first time Smile
Thanks, however, I didn't use phpmyadmin when I installed it, I used FlashFXP. Now I'm having trouble locating the database name

I take it the database host would be the url of the forum's location?
philc Wrote:Thanks, however, I didn't use phpmyadmin when I installed it, I used FlashFXP.  Now I'm having trouble locating the database name
i only know phpmyadmin myself only been doing this type of stuff the last 6 months.

philc Wrote:I take it the database host would be the url of the forum's location?

as far as i know the answer is no its not the forums location, the database is linked to you hosting control panel but i may be wrong Smile
Thanks for your help! Smile