MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Portal And Index Options
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There should be an option wether you want the forum index page as the index or the portal page as the index, I think this would be a useful option for people who run websites because they can use the portal as a news system much like I do.
Anyone who runs a website should know how to change the index using .htaccess, or if they use an alternative to apache, the method for their server. If not then they can use the renaming trick.
Anyone that runs a website should know how to search and find THIS THREAD as it is a better solution than a basic htaccess directoryindex edit.
(2012-07-03, 03:49 AM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone that runs a website should know how to search and find THIS THREAD as it is a better solution than a basic htaccess directoryindex edit.

What if not using different directories?

BTW, this, is it correct? Since you are defining inside the while loop. Anyways, it is a good tutorial, I use it my self.

I agree that anyone willing to run a community should learn basic stuff like this. A setting can't magically do all the edits for something like this.
(2012-07-03, 05:06 AM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]What if not using different directories?

I honestly feel that if you want your site to grow and be able to expand it to offer other content than just a forum then you need your forums in a subfolder for easy upgrading, bookkeeping, mods, etc. It also lets your users know where they are via the address bar.

To me, it just feels more professional as it is organized

(2012-07-03, 05:06 AM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]BTW, this, is it correct? Since you are defining inside the while loop. Anyways, it is a good tutorial, I use it my self.

Technically is may not be correct to keep redefining the constant inside the loop, but I have not seen any ill effects of it (on several different servers no less)

(2012-07-03, 05:06 AM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]I agree that anyone willing to run a community should learn basic stuff like this. A setting can't magically do all the edits for something like this.

Agreed. There is more to webmastering than just installing and clicking a few settings.
I personally wouldn't do anything like what Pavemen suggests but that just shows different people want to do it in different ways and adding a setting would limit this or need to be a huge addition. Like we've said already - any webmaster who is serious about what they're doing should be able to research this and do it themselves. It takes effort to be successful.