MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: homepage file location
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi: Does anyone know where I would look to find my homepage file? I believe it is index.php, but there are many files with that name! I need to prove to Google that I own the site, and to do that I must paste a line of code onto my homepage. I cannot do that from within the myBB Admin page because it is no longer saving any changes (I'm working on that issue...), but if I can find the same file via FTP, then I can do this!

Thanks!
If I recall correctly, you do not have to paste anything on any core file while verifying your site through Google. Google automatically generate a file which you need to upload on your forum's ROOT folder and then point that file in your browser's address bar. Once it runs, your site will be verified.
If it's a Text record, you'll need to contact your hosting provider to integrate the record for you.
Here's what Google requires:

Choose a method from your control panel (available methods may vary):

Create a TXT record in your domain's DNS settings.
This method requires accessing DNS settings for your domain at your domain host's website.
[I attempted this but it does not work with my host, evidently]

Upload an HTML file to your domain's web server
This method requires being able to upload files to your domain's web server. Try doing this if you don't have access to your domain's DNS settings.
[Can't figure this out; same problem, no? Still need to locate forum file, I think...]

Add a <meta> tag to your home page
This method is available only for some customers (it's another new method we're rolling out). It requires accessing your domain's web server but not uploading to it. Try doing this if you have write access to files on the server but can't upload new files.
[This is what I'm trying to do by finding the homepage.]

Verify using your Google Analytics tracking code
This method requires that you have a Google Analytics account for the same domain you're signing up for Google Apps.
[Not applicable to me.]
Uploading the html file is by far the easiest to do with a MyBB setup. Literally just upload the .html file Google gives you and tells you to upload to the public_html folder on your site. If you don't know how to do that then just reply and we can walk you through it. If you're not allowed to do that by your host, then you need to find a new one because that's utterly ridiculous.
Thanks!! You were right, it was easy to do that, and now it's "verified"!!