MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Windows or Linux?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
(2012-07-08, 12:04 AM)Lo. Wrote: [ -> ]Try Pidgin if you don't like Kmess

Cheers Lo.

I tried pidgin first, disliked it more than Kmess Wink
(2012-07-08, 12:10 AM)vernier Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-07-08, 12:04 AM)Lo. Wrote: [ -> ]Try Pidgin if you don't like Kmess

Cheers Lo.

I tried pidgin first, disliked it more than Kmess Wink

Well then all I can think of that's left and decent is AMSN, but I had found it fairly buggy.
So, at the end Ubuntu is slower that windows. I have a old PC that don´t wnat to "recycle" (who knows what is reallly going to happen to it t.t) and I though Ubuntu was the right one for it.

It is never used for Internet purposes, just wath videos or edit some files (notepadd++).
(2012-07-08, 12:38 AM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]So, at the end Ubuntu is slower that windows. I have a old PC that don´t wnat to "recycle" (who knows what is reallly going to happen to it t.t) and I though Ubuntu was the right one for it.

It is never used for Internet purposes, just wath videos or edit some files (notepadd++).

An Ubuntu variant would work fine. Lubuntu, Xubuntu. Stuff like that. Just the Unity window manager is fairly hefty. And OpenBox or blackbox window environment will be much faster.
Linux. Hands down.
Use linux it better
and window get virus easier.
I really don't get where all these "Linux is obviously better" responses are coming from.

Yeah, I am using windows right now, but believe me, that doesn't make me the its biggest fan. I've used both Linux and Windows, and as others have pointed out already, both have their own advantages.

Neither is "better" than the other: they're each better at different things. I'm not going to go into the specifics of these things because people already have, and there's also a lot of information to be found with a quick google search, I'm sure.
(2012-07-08, 01:20 AM)Ian2458 Wrote: [ -> ]Use linux it better

If you didn't see what I posted:

"window get virus easier."

that why I said Linux is better
(2012-07-08, 01:59 AM)Ian2458 Wrote: [ -> ]

I did see that point, and my post wasn't directed specifically at you.

However, there is more to avoiding viruses than using Linux. In all the years I've been using windows, I have never once had any viruses or malware at all. As long as you're sensible on windows (don't go running executables you've downloaded from dodgy sites), you'll be fine.

Even so, the slightly decreased risk of viruses is not one to convince me that an entire operating system is "better" than another.
(2012-07-08, 01:59 AM)Ian2458 Wrote: [ -> ]

Untrue. My windows machine is involved in almost all activies people get viruses from, and I scan it bi monthly, and I've never once gotten anything in about the last two years. To be fair I think you have to either be impaiteint, or just very insecure person to get a virus.

Now if you want to talk about security holes, Linux wins, hands down. This is because Linux is devised of many packages, making it a lot easier to target one specific one and hack that. Sometimes they are patched and put through before anyone finds them, sometimes not.

So if you are talking security Linux in theory is a lot less secure.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9