MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How hard would it be to use the membership system in MYBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey guys,

First, am I allowed to use the membership system of MyBB for another purpose?

Secondly how hard would it be to take the registration / login / logout / profile pages / memberlist / etc.. from MyBB to use on another website?

Thirdly if anybody has already done this and wouldn't mind sharing then that would be great Big Grin

~Hostpro
You can use MyBB to govern a country if you wanted. It's under the LGPL.

Now what do you mean another website? Do you mean like the data being consistently updated on both sites, or just the pages? two completely different sites or homepage or and forum? On the same server?
(2012-07-09, 09:35 AM)Lo. Wrote: [ -> ]You can use MyBB to govern a country if you wanted. It's under the LGPL.

Now what do you mean another website? Do you mean like the data being consistently updated on both sites, or just the pages? two completely different sites or homepage or and forum? On the same server?

I'd like to use the pages and scripts that are being used in MyBB for another website I am making.

I'd like users to be able to register / update their profile etc like they can do on MyBB.

I don't want data to be shared between sites or anything, it's a completely different website on a different server for a completely different purpose.

~Hostpro
Are you wanting to fork MyBB?
(2012-07-09, 10:21 AM)crazy4cs Wrote: [ -> ]Are you wanting to fork MyBB?

I'm making a pastebin and I'm wondering how hard it would be to use the membership system that MyBB uses.
If pasteme.php (for example) is in the root folder of your forum, it's very possible.
Start by learning MyBB well enough to decide if you also want to use the MyBB template system or "work around" it.
It wouldn't be that hard. If you wanted a forum alongside it the you could just make the pastebin part a plugin for mybb Toungue problem solved
Unless you mean just striping out the user system and using that with other completely custom code without having the rest of mybb there to back it up with. If that's the case then well, I'm not going to say it's impossible, but it wouldn't be worth your time.

You'd have to make so many changes that it would be unrecognisable as being from mybb, and so, if that is what you were intending to do, I'd suggest just writing your own.

As others have said though, if you want to have mybb actually installed there too, then yes, it would be very easy.
To be honest, learn PHP, use a framework like Laravel and have everything setup with a few hours of programming
(2012-07-09, 02:25 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]To be honest, learn PHP, use a framework like Laravel and have everything setup with a few hours of programming

A simple auth system doesn't take long to write even without a framework. Having said that, I am using Laravel's auth system for the website I'm working on, but hey, only because it was there and would be rude not to Wink
Pages: 1 2