MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: AAC to OGG
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm looking for a nice, free AAC to OGG file converter. I've got some songs I want to use as a placeholder in a project I'm working on. Unfortunately, the sound library I'm using currently only supports OGG/Vorbis and WAV, but the song I'm using right now is AAC/MP4. The programs that come up when I Google are all either limited trials or shady, so I wanted to get the community's opinion on a good converter. It doesn't have to be perfect (the music is just a placeholder so I can get the sound system working) but it has to work well and not try and take over my system. Even a CLI program would be fine with me (possibly even preferred since I can batch up a bunch of songs in a build script).

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Windows, Mac or Linux? Smile
Windows ATM, but I can do Linux just fine (though I don't exactly want to boot into Linux just to convert a file).

Also, looks like I got things turned around a little bit. OGG & MP4 are the containers, Vorbis and AAC are the codecs. So I need MP4/AAC to OGG/Vorbis (not that it makes much difference to most people, but to technical people it means I need to convert both the container and the audio stream).

There's a program, vorbisenc.exe, that comes with the library, but there's no documentation I can find on how to use it and I'm not going to dig through the source for it.
Just use VLC. You should already have it installed too, right? ;P
(2012-07-09, 06:57 PM)Firestryke31 Wrote: [ -> ]There's a program, vorbisenc.exe, that comes with the library, but there's no documentation I can find on how to use it and I'm not going to dig through the source for it.

If you've got the source you don't need much work in order to look for what is accepted as input. Look for argv in the source and find out what's validated.
(2012-07-09, 07:48 PM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]Just use VLC. You should already have it installed too, right? ;P

I didn't, but I do now. It's neat, but I think I'll stick to iTunes for my main media player. At least it did exactly what I want though (even if it did take me a moment to figure out how) and supports more than one codec. Definitely a keeper; thanks!

Edit: Yay! I have music! More importantly, I have sound in general! Now I need to work on the rest of the game...
ffmpeg -i crappy_song.m4a rickroll.ogg