MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: TOTAL Newbie here
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all,

I have awebsite or three so know a little bit about webstuff but have NO idea about forums. I want to start a community for lonely people and dont really want a website for it - just a forum. I have had a brief look and it seems like I have to "plugin" (whatever that means) the forum to a website, but Id really like a stand alone forum. Can someone tell me if this is at all possible please?

Many thanks,

Krista

Big Grin
Plugins are just extra features you would like to have in your website. No need to install a plugin if you think the default MyBB features are good for you.
Yes, MyBB is used as a standalone software. You'd have to create a plugin to combine it with your website if you wanted them to be the same.

If you want just a forum though that's fine.
You however needs to install theme to make your site looks unique. See the official mods site for free themes: http://mods.mybb.com/themes
By the way I think that's an awesome subject to create a forum on, good luck.
Hey thanks guys - very fast replies!! Glad to know I can have a stand alone forum. Will now go and dig deeper. Thanks Anxiety - I had a Facebook Group (closed) but I think people would prefer to post anon. Smile
Do you have the hosting sorted? And the money to start it?

Seems like a good idea though.
Roach, I thought MYBB was free? And oh at needing to find a host? Told you I have no idea.....
Yes MyBB is completely free but it needs a host (free or paid) to install on to. There are various free hosts available as well. You've to buy a domain too (just incase you don't know).
(2012-07-10, 05:47 PM)Krista34 Wrote: [ -> ]Roach, I thought MYBB was free? And oh at needing to find a host? Told you I have no idea.....

It is, you will need the money for the host and domain...

Can I suggest you give this a read.
Pages: 1 2