MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Learning to code, Need Advice.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey im becoming sick of having to ask for support alot and want to become independent and helping others, in september im starting an IT course and before them i want to learn a few languages, so i need ways to learn you could say google them but i want to know from the experts beacuse its 2nd hand experience.

So what i can do at the moment
- HTML (I Rate Myself - 6/10 in HTML) Still would learn more just need to know how

What i want to learn how to do
-CSS

What else do i need for mybb....
You Tell Me

Basically i need you to tell me what i need to learn to be succesful in mybb and web development in general.

And what methods of learning did you use beacuse i get bored when i tryed from a book..
HTML and CSS are pretty easy to pick up. The challenge will be when you start getting into php. And, well while books are boring they are probably the best place to start. Simply because it has a lot of information and it usually shows you good practices as well while stuff around the web may not.
I learned PHP a long time ago by simple reviewing the source code of a page that I know how it works and then following the code and checking php.net for functions I could not figure out.

open index.php of mybb and follow line by line and see what it is doing.
(2012-07-13, 06:43 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]HTML and CSS are pretty easy to pick up. The challenge will be when you start getting into php. And, well while books are boring they are probably the best place to start. Simply because it has a lot of information and it usually shows you good practices as well while stuff around the web may not.

Is there any you would recommend, when i done html like 1 year ago i done it from the dummies book which i still have and i got to page 20 and just stopped, i didnt know how to put what i was learning into practice and i didnt reach the css....

Beacuse if i was coding i would put hello and there would be nothing i could do in html to practice so it was hard...

(2012-07-13, 06:48 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]I learned PHP a long time ago by simple reviewing the source code of a page that I know how it works and then following the code and checking php.net for functions I could not figure out.

open index.php of mybb and follow line by line and see what it is doing.

I want to master HTML&CSS before i move onto PHP im sure i will do that when i start my webdev course, but for now i wanna aim at these 2
http://net.tutsplus.com/ have a very nice collection of tutorials.
then review the browser source of the pages with functionality you like and get friendly with http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp and http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp
Has anyone tried using codeacademy?
So when i read them what do i do?

I read the code then what?
Then you try coding ...
HTML and CSS is just basic stuff. You need to learn php, big time.
Pages: 1 2