MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Handle Windows viruses
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm writing something that quickly goes through cleaning up a computer and getting rid of viruses and stuff, but I have no idea what to suggest because I've never really had to deal with any viruses - not even on Windows. I use Linux all the time now, so I don't even have to worry about it because it's very unlikely that I'll get a virus.

So suppose your computer was infected with a nasty virus that would steal your passwords and you wanted to get rid of it and make sure everything else was clean too. What would you do? I've heard of things like Malwarebytes and whatnot but I want to make sure what I'm suggesting is a good idea.

This is mainly focused on Windows, but if you have similar procedures for Mac OS X - or even Linux - please post them as well. Smile
So you're making software to remove viruses? You could try searching for hashes of known viruses, or monitoring ram for known signatures Smile
No no, not at all. By writing I meant writing an article. It's related to something else, but it goes through this. I'm not trying to create a program. Toungue
Question: How to remove windows viruses ?

Answer: Buy a Mac

Big Grin
(2012-07-13, 08:52 PM)Frank.Barry Wrote: [ -> ]Question: How to remove windows viruses ?

Big Grin

I smell fanboy.
Spybot Search & Destroy, Malwarebytes, and an Antivirus like Microsoft Security Essentials, all 3 makes a pretty good combination.

There's no 1 solution to catch everything.
(2012-07-13, 08:58 PM)Charlie Hadden Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-07-13, 08:52 PM)Frank.Barry Wrote: [ -> ]Question: How to remove windows viruses ?

Big Grin

I smell fanboy.

Its true though. No matter what anti-virus you buy, the same company will release viruses themselves so you'll buy their latest software. Norton and all the popular companies do this, its a complete rip off.

Offtopic:

@Charlie Hadden

Smell what you like lol. I used windows for years, changed to mac and will never use windows again. Doesn't mean im a fanboy. I choose to use mac as my primary operating system because it does what I need to do, best. A windows machine might suit someone else better.
(2012-07-13, 09:17 PM)Frank.Barry Wrote: [ -> ]Its true though. No matter what anti-virus you buy, the same company will release viruses themselves so you'll buy their latest software. Norton and all the popular companies do this, its a complete rip off.

Wouldn't surprise me, it's like how Sony loaded their laptops with spyware.

(2012-07-13, 09:17 PM)Frank.Barry Wrote: [ -> ]Smell what you like lol. I used windows for years, changed to mac and will never use windows again. Doesn't mean im a fanboy. I choose to use mac as my primary operating system because it does what I need to do, best. A windows machine might suit someone else better.

I would think at a huge amount of users here are Mac users, considering Mac seems better suited for web design & whatnot.

But I don't believe Mac is absolutely that safe either.
We've seen virus' on company Macs, and had to put Antivirus software on them.

They may not necessarily do damage to a Mac OS, but they can still spread.
I use the bit defender anti virus and it is very effective. In the past I have also used AVG and Norton, but compared to bit defender they are very ineffective. Also I have learned that just having a good anti virus is not good enough, you also have to make sure it is always updated. I have set my copy of bit defender on automatic update but for some reason it dose not update so I have to manually update it by launching the program, and allowing it to update itself. Windows firewall is not to be underestimated, make sure it is on.
You may want to look into hijack this (or something like that I'm on my phone so can't check) it's a power user tool that I don't know how to use.
Pages: 1 2