MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Gaming Infinity - A Gaming Forum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2012-07-19, 09:44 PM)fma965 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-07-19, 08:58 PM)Kolton T. Wrote: [ -> ]Remove chatbox and you have too many staff.

TBH i dont care what people say about chatbox's they dont drain the community they encourage people to chat in it then post threads aswell and not really as they are only staff cause they are close friends and help

They're too busy chatting to bother wanting to post in forums. I've seen it happen. I'd just recommend waiting until you have activity. Right now activity is barely sustaining.
Well maybe thats true but we have the chat for general discussion and its going ok around 250 posts and 32 members in 4 days

but we will see how it goes and if it is how you say i will disable it.
Regardless of if they're friends, 7 staff members on a forum with 33 members is a bit ott... thats 1/5 of your members (when you hit 35)

edit: why you've given yourself 999 rep, I'll never know... silly amount IMO
(2012-07-19, 10:16 PM)lem0n Wrote: [ -> ]Regardless of if they're friends, 7 staff members on a forum with 33 members is a bit ott... thats 1/5 of your members (when you hit 35)

yes well 2 admins are staying no matter what as i am providing the hosting and 1 is a really closefriend and the others i didnt control i will pass it on to the other admin.

its not 7 any way 2 of them control moderation of their own sections so its 5.
At the moment, you shouldn't need any mods. If you are dedicated to your forum you should be able to moderate it yourself. And frankly, there shouldn't be much to moderate. Having too many staff is a bad image.

Also, don't hire admins just because they're close friends, I learned this the hard way. They need to value their position, if they do then it's fine. 2 admins is a good number though, but no need for mods.
(2012-07-19, 10:24 PM)Kolton T. Wrote: [ -> ]At the moment, you shouldn't need any mods. If you are dedicated to your forum you should be able to moderate it yourself. And frankly, there shouldn't be much to moderate. Having too many staff is a bad image.

Also, don't hire admins just because they're close friends, I learned this the hard way. They need to value their position, if they do then it's fine. 2 admins is a good number though, but no need for mods.

Yep, I agree, I know why you don't want to take the privileges away from your friends. But you need to separate your personal friendships away when you are starting a forum. Believe me, I did it. I was 13 when I did it. I now 2 years later. I have started a forum, and I have chosen a niche. And I am accepting constructive criticism as advice, and not personal attacks which is what you are not doing. You are taking all of this good advice as personal attacks. The advice or constructive criticism is not a personal attack believe me, the members here are good people.

Anyhow, generalize your categories a tad more. You don't need quite so many. Maybe just take some of the ones that are useless to your niche, and simple move the posts to a general forum or an archive forum for the record.

Good luck with the rest of your time on your site. A gaming site will not usually last long in the midst of all of the competition between the thousands of existing gaming websites.
(2012-07-19, 10:24 PM)Kolton T. Wrote: [ -> ]At the moment, you shouldn't need any mods. If you are dedicated to your forum you should be able to moderate it yourself. And frankly, there shouldn't be much to moderate. Having too many staff is a bad image.

Thanks for the advice sorry if i seemed to ignore it , we now have 1 mod and 2 admins.
(2012-07-20, 06:38 AM)Echo Off Wrote: [ -> ]

Yep, I agree, I know why you don't want to take the privileges away from your friends. But you need to separate your personal friendships away when you are starting a forum. Believe me, I did it. I was 13 when I did it. I now 2 years later. I have started a forum, and I have chosen a niche. And I am accepting constructive criticism as advice, and not personal attacks which is what you are not doing. You are taking all of this good advice as personal attacks. The advice or constructive criticism is not a personal attack believe me, the members here are good people.

Anyhow, generalize your categories a tad more. You don't need quite so many. Maybe just take some of the ones that are useless to your niche, and simple move the posts to a general forum or an archive forum for the record.

Good luck with the rest of your time on your site. A gaming site will not usually last long in the midst of all of the competition between the thousands of existing gaming websites.

im not trying to take them as personal attacks i just knew people would say about the chatbox, and if you ask me i feel it helps the communirt (maybe not the forum) but the community.

We have less mods now and we are still trying to optimize the forum layout.

I guess for your last part it depends on the Gaming forum as it could end up lasting long time but if it doesn't it doesn't it was fun.

(2012-07-19, 10:16 PM)lem0n Wrote: [ -> ]edit: why you've given yourself 999 rep, I'll never know... silly amount IMO

It doesn't stay like it any way.
(2012-07-19, 12:21 PM)fma965 Wrote: [ -> ]I don't see how it is a mess. We have over 300 posts in 3 days and more than 30 members in 3 days so as far as i can tell its going well. The site needs a few tweaks and changes to the forums etc.

What I meant was that there were simultaneously too many game forums (a bunch for individual titles) and not enough (only one console specific forum). There is a good chance someone will come to your forum and have no idea where to post.

If I wanted to talk about a JRPG on the PS3, there would have been no where to do it. Personally, I think forums dedicated to individual games are a dangerous slippery slope. Just look at how many dead forums there are on IGN and GameFAQs. Penny Arcade has the best solution (which I've adopted in my forums as well): one topic per thread, one thread per topic. Make a Call of Duty thread for ALL Call of Duty discussion, and it will explode with posts.
(2012-07-20, 01:23 PM)cappazushi Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-07-19, 12:21 PM)fma965 Wrote: [ -> ]I don't see how it is a mess. We have over 300 posts in 3 days and more than 30 members in 3 days so as far as i can tell its going well. The site needs a few tweaks and changes to the forums etc.

What I meant was that there were simultaneously too many game forums (a bunch for individual titles) and not enough (only one console specific forum). There is a good chance someone will come to your forum and have no idea where to post.

If I wanted to talk about a JRPG on the PS3, there would have been no where to do it. Personally, I think forums dedicated to individual games are a dangerous slippery slope. Just look at how many dead forums there are on IGN and GameFAQs. Penny Arcade has the best solution (which I've adopted in my forums as well): one topic per thread, one thread per topic. Make a Call of Duty thread for ALL Call of Duty discussion, and it will explode with posts.

Sites like nextgenupdate and se7ensins have forums for popular games. but if you have separate forums for consoles then you end up getting the same discussion for both ps3,360 and PC e.g. "new maps coming for mw3".

I was still adding the console forums but had to do something else. We now have a ps3, 360 and pc forum. Wii may come but not enough interest tbh.

yes it will explode with posts but imho this is not a good idea as its not very easy to find information then.

Please dont take this as me ignoring what people say i am just saying i don't agree with some of these things.
I am Co Owner of this site and it is the Best Site evr Smile
Pages: 1 2 3