MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Duplicate forum structure/plugins for testing purposes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
G'day all,

My default theme forum is most of the way towards where I want it, and is functioning well.

What I would like to do is setup a duplicate forum for testing things on so I don't disturb the current one, because busting it now would be a real drag.

I only care about the structure/plugins, not the data, and it will be on the same host/server as the live forum (setup on a different domain name, so it'll have different database names, etc, but I don't care about that, I just want to test new ideas (like CSS3 menus, etc) on it.

Copying the public_html folder from one to the other seems too easy - do I need to take the databases over, even though I don't want the content, just the settings?

Thanks.

(Yes, I've searched here and googled it, but maybe I'm using the wrong keywords...)
What you could do is set up a second theme on the existing site and set it to be viewed by admin only. Then you can mess about with templates/themes quite a lot and users don't see it.
(2012-07-24, 07:39 AM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]What you could do is set up a second theme on the existing site and set it to be viewed by admin only. Then you can mess about with templates/themes quite a lot and users don't see it.

I like the idea, but won't that mean that testing plugins, etc, will show on the main site as well? I really want to keep that sort of thing off the main site until I'm happy that it works as I want it to.

Thanks for your help.
Oh I see, yes indeed. I am sorry, I thought it was just for the theming - I misunderstood. You are right, it would not be a suitable solution for plugin testing.
(2012-07-24, 08:25 AM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]Oh I see, yes indeed. I am sorry, I thought it was just for the theming - I misunderstood. You are right, it would not be a suitable solution for plugin testing.

No dramas, thanks for the reply.
* Leefish raises an eyebrow. You haven't seen drama if you never moderated a sims site.

Have you tried running on local host using Xampp?? It is what I do. I just copied my board plugins and things across and then used Aries-Belgium's MyDeveloper generate plugin for posts and users.

http://mods.mybb.com/view/mydevel-generate
Ah, nice idea.

Downloading it now.

What's the best way to get my site across as it is right now? (Structure and settings, not caring about the content.)