MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Plugin Licence?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey guys,

I've just finished working on a new plugin and I came to the question which licence should I use. I've seen various licences in use for plugins; GPL, LGPL, Apache and also various proprietary ones. My question is what is the best one to use? Toungue
Depends what you want the licensing conditions to be Toungue I tend to just use the same one as the MyBB core.
Personally I don't really mind Toungue
It would probably make sense to use LGPL as its the same as MyBB though ^_^
I license everything MyBB-related under the LGPL for the sake of consistency I guess. But personally I'm a fan of the WTFPL. It doesn't get any more open-source than that. Toungue
Lol not sure if that's the most appropriate one so I'll go with LGPL Toungue
Thanks for the help ^_^.
I license quite a bit of stuff under the wtfpl. That effectively makes it public domain though, so it's not great for everything.
I like the Effial license.
I dislike the forced communism of the GPL, so I tend to release stuff under the BSD license for stuff I care about, or the WTFPL for stuff I don't. That way, people can use and improve my code, but if they see a financial advantage that allows them to better feed their family they're not forced to give it up and stand in the soup lines instead.
What is the difference between GPL and LGPL? I do released some works under GPL (espcially Newpoints plugins and some plugins where I use xThreads code which is under GPL v3) and the rest under private ones (free/premium).

I do like the WTFPL but had never use it.
Both force the release of source code under the license if someone asks for it, the difference is which ones put what under themselves. AFAICT the GPL forces everything that touches it to be under the GPL, whereas the LGPL only does so to things that are statically linked to it. This means that for a commercial project GPL is never-or-you-lose-your-product and LGPL has to be .DLL/.SO/.dynlib.

That or GPL is the dynamic-only and LGPL is only stuff licensed under it. I can't remember, I just stay away from both whenever possible. BSD is easy, just include the license in your documentation and WTFPL is just do whatever, and is for when you want to release stuff to public domain but countries like Germany don't recognize it.
Pages: 1 2