MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Finding Fonts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm redesigning my website, partly because I want to relaunch it when I launch a game I've been working on and partly because brad-t's MyBB Humanization Project inspired some ideas for simplifying the site's design.

The mockup I made real quick uses Futura as the primary font. The problem is, last I heard Windows doesn't come with Futura. Heck, I don't even know where I got my copy (I think it migrated here from my laptop, when it had OSX installed on it). Also, in the mockup it looks okay, but in the browser it's just a little too light. Okay for the .tcat, but not for stuff the user will be reading for any extent of time.

So my problem is twofold: Futura is too light, and has licensing issues for me.

I've looked on a couple of sites (dafont and the Google Web Fonts) but couldn't wade through all of the kind of mediocre and not-what-I'm-after fonts. The only one I found so far was basically Futura Light But Renamed.

Could someone help me find a font with the simplistic Deco-esque geometricity of Futura, but slightly heavier and free for web use? If not, I guess I could go with Verdana/Helvetica, but I was hoping to get something not overused on the web.
You could try Quicksand light or well I suggest Open Sans light the most

Quicksand:
http://www.google.com/webfonts/specimen/Quicksand

Open Sans:
http://www.google.com/webfonts/specimen/Open+Sans
Quicksand is a little too light. Open Sans is closer, though if I can get something that looks a little more simple that would be nice. Futura is mostly circles and straight lines, without many bends or hooks (see the 't'). It's that simplicity that I'm aiming for. I found a nice font called Perspective Sans, but it's only available in TTF (which apparently doesn't work in some browsers?) and the license forbids modifying it (and converting it to other formats is obviously a form of modifying it). It's also still not as simple as I'd prefer. I also just found that Century Gothic is basically a slightly smaller Futura.

Why are letters so hard :/
I hate looking for font Toungue.

If none of the google webfonts work for you then maybe try http://www.fontsquirrel.com/ they have an @font-face filter.
dafont.com ?
He said he looked at Dafont, but if anything I'd have to agree Century Gothic would be your best bet.
Well I am finding similar fonts, but they're all either ridiculously priced for something I'm going to use once or only offer non-bold-non-italic versions, which I'd like to have for placing emphasis on certain things in posts. For a moment I even considered creating my own. Then I remembered I'd have to deal with FontForge, and the UI for that is only slightly better than Blender's. Who knows, maybe I'll put up with it long enough to make one :/

So far I'm thinking Century Gothic/Futura with a fallback of Arial/Helvetica and I don't know why I'm putting so much effort into the font. I still think it's a little too light.

Here's what it looks like so far. If you have any suggestions for a font that might go better with the simplicity I have in mind I'm all ears.
Well, in my opinion you should just use Century Gothic for like menus, forum category names, forum names, descriptions and other text should use another font like arial to give it a good contrast.
I might try that... let me go through and set it up real quick.
Here we go. I think it looks pretty decent. I'm going to need to restructure the markup a little to clean up how I had it before, but I think it's for the better.
Pages: 1 2