MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Registering an online community legally
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys.

I run an Australian forum for the brony fandom here. We're getting more and more people signing up and we're branching out. We rent game servers and we plan on opening things like a small online store.

The more we grow, the more chance there is that we'll get into legal issues. From what I can tell, registering as some kind of legal entity will help protect me as the owner from these issues and more.

Should I go down this path? Is it worth it? Can I do it without spending a lot of money?

(I would think that Australia would be similar to other countries, so any advice would be great)

Thanks Angel
If you're opening a store, definitely.
I agree if its something you want to do you should do it
I'd say depending on your profit margin, which is the amount by which revenue from sales exceeds costs in a business. If you're making a large volume of revenue, then go ahead consider legal measures to ensure security in the long run, but if you're making under a certain quota then don't worry about it.
It won't cost a lot of money but just make sure you pay the taxes on it all because if you don't then you'll be paying a lot of money.
I've decided to keep things the way they are at the moment. I don't want to spend the high amount of effort (and/or money) required to set up all of this.

Thanks guys for your input.