MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Make subforum post show up on the forum.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So, like the title suggest i have a kinda weird question and im not sure if its in any way possible to do.

What i would like to do is make a forum act like a category i guess.
Lets say you have a category about gaming. Within this category you have a few game specific forums (example below)

Quote:Gaming
-World of Warcraft
-Rift
-Star wars the old republic
etc.

Would there be any way to create in the forum of for example Rift a few subforums.
-general
-PvP
-PVE
etc.

And below these subforums the threads of those subforums would be shown. So people could easily browse to the specific subforum to find some information. But also when they click on the forum see all the threads from the subforum.

http://tukui.org/forums/

Only example i could find of such a system its on the index page though and simply shows all the new post below.

Also the New thread button in one of those forums would have a popup asking you to which subforum you would like to post this new thread (this would also mean you couldnt post threads anymore in the actual forum except in the subforums)
Maybe try using thread prefixes with the Xthreads filter? You can set up a filter list that makes it possible to have any one mybb prefix or all prefixes visible. You can do it even fancier, but that would be full XThreads.

Here is a very simple example of that filter:

http://www.classifiedbilliards.com/mybb/...fix=3#tab1
(2012-07-28, 02:49 AM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe try using thread prefixes with the Xthreads filter? You can set up a filter list that makes it possible to have any one mybb prefix or all prefixes visible. You can do it even fancier, but that would be full XThreads.

Here is a very simple example of that filter:

http://www.classifiedbilliards.com/mybb/...fix=3#tab1

You mean more instead of using subforums just use one forum and within that forum force a couple of prefixes?

And use like the example above xthreads to let users filter out those specific threads?
Yes, exactly that. Big Grin
(2012-07-28, 02:58 AM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, exactly that. Big Grin

Mhmm sounds like that will achieve the same thing as my idea, so will try it out thanks leefish Big Grin
You could add a new thread / edit post template if you were feeling flashy, alternatively just edit the thread prefix box for that forum (assuming XThreads and so setting a template prefix) and say something like "select one of the prefixes" or something more trendy.
(2012-07-28, 03:06 AM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]You could add a new thread / edit post template if you were feeling flashy, alternatively just edit the thread prefix box for that forum (assuming XThreads and so setting a template prefix) and say something like "select one of the prefixes" or something more trendy.

Think i want to try to write something that sets the prefix when you click on new thread > select which of the prefixes there immediately. And remove the box for that forum as option after. And just show the choise somehow.. not sure how but will probably figure something out Big Grin
How about multiple new threads buttons Big Grin

Each one for a different prefix. It might not look truly terrible - in fact, that is the approach I think. Or - for a dropdown - the drop is maybe a link to one of several templates that has the prefix set. Or something. Might need an if else for that.
(2012-07-28, 03:20 AM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]How about multiple new threads buttons Big Grin

Each one for a different prefix. It might not look truly terrible - in fact, that is the approach I think. Or - for a dropdown - the drop is maybe a link to one of several templates that has the prefix set. Or something. Might need an if else for that.

So far was thinking on a on hover button with the thread prefixes in that new popup box. Which could simply be clicked:

bad example:
[Image: hover_menu_sample_thumbnail.gif]

but gives the idea i guess.
hmm, yea. I think I see. But the thread prefix is applied IN the new thread - how are you going to carry that var over?
Pages: 1 2