MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Should I wait for 1.8?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all.
I've used other forum software before, but I'm just starting if with MyBB.
I'm hoping to use MyBB for a new site that I'm working on.
I saw that MyBB 1.8 is supposed to be released sometime in the new future.
The question is, is it worth starting to work on the site using MyBB 1.6 and the update to 1.8 when it is released, or should I wait until 1.8 is released, and just start with that?
Thanks!

Isaac
I would suggest you start with 1.6 and upgrade to 1.8 when it's released. Upgrading is a relatively easy process, there's no need to wait for the next minor release. Smile
I mean it really depends on you. If you're asking this question and aren't in a rush or dependent on any plugins or themes that are out now then wait.
Makes sense...
It seemed like there might be some decent changes in 1.8, and I've seen some software that works a lot better when you start with the newer version, because some methods/code get deprecated, but sometimes get left behind.
But if you say it should work, then I'll start with 1.6.
Thanks!

Alex - I'd like to get started with the site.
As long as there are no big drawbacks in using 1.6, then I probably may as well start now...
Thanks.
I agree start out with 1.6 so you can learn and start growing then do the upgrade
(2012-07-29, 07:44 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]I would suggest you start with 1.6 and upgrade to 1.8 when it's released. Upgrading is a relatively easy process, there's no need to wait for the next minor release. Smile

With the 1.8 version release, will there be any major conflicts or if all of any kind that would effect the way our themes are constructed?
(2012-07-31, 09:11 AM)MJ456 Wrote: [ -> ]@Topic: Go for 1.6, 1.8 will be release by next year i guess. They have lots of work to do for now. Smile

If that's true, then I think it really would be a smart decision to use 1.6 now, because 5+ months is a long time.
I would say start with 1.6 for now plus if you just start with 1.8 then you might get issues that people won't be able to solve because they might be fairly new. Also you might miss out on the best plugins available for 1.6 only. It's better to go with the flow which is 1.6 and 1.8 still has a year or two.
1.8 is a big upgrade on 1.6. It will take time for us to develop it, make it ready for the public and help plugin/theme developers update their work. For the majority of people with a medium-sized forum, I would expect them to be upgraded about 3 - 6 months after general release.

So, unless your forum is going to take off instantly, I would go with 1.6.