MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: GoMobile does not override forum specific themes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm assuming my question is somewhat unusual so I apologize in advance if it's a stupid one lol.
Anyway I'm rather new to MyBB and am currently setting up my first forum. The forum currently has forum specific themes, meaning that there are themes assigned to specific sections of the forum which override the user's chosen theme when they are on that section. For example the music section has a blue theme whereas the film section has a red theme rather than the default theme of the forum.
I've been adding a few features a day until the forum is completely set up and today I decided to add GoMobile as a feature, however, I didn't consider that because GoMobile is a theme in itself, it would also be overridden if a mobile user was to visit (for example) the music section because it is set to have the blue desktop theme.
So my question is this - Is there a way that I can keep my forum specific themes and still have GoMobile override them when people are on my forum on their mobile devices?

Hope all of that made sense and thanks in advanceSmile
This is a thing that I have tried and tried on - I have exactly the same issue.

I posted a question on mybbhacks and did get some pointers from ZingaBurga but I was too thick to understand.

I shall find you the link.

LINK: http://mybbhacks.zingaburga.com/showthre...27#pid8227
(2012-07-30, 07:30 PM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]This is a thing that I have tried and tried on - I have exactly the same issue.

I posted a question on mybbhacks and did get some pointers from ZingaBurga but I was too thick to understand.

I shall find you the link.

LINK: http://mybbhacks.zingaburga.com/showthre...27#pid8227

Thank you so much for that! Big Grin
Mind you, by the looks of that thread you linked me to, I am way thicker than you 'cas I barely understand a word of it lol (as I said I'm new to this). However I am glad to know that it isn't impossible to do.
Did you ever manage it? And if so could you state how in a "for-dummies" kinda way lol? 'Cas I've had no problems installing the plugin and it works on the forum homepage (the only place on the forum where the theme isn't set to override the user's chosen theme). It just doesn't work on any of the sections aside from the homepage (where themes are assigned to override the user's chosen theme).
Well, why exactly are you overriding the theme? Is it for colours or is it for templates (ie HTML structure)? If it is for templates then you should DEFINITELY look at XThreads. That way you would not need to force a theme for structure - the structure is applied at forum level. If colours - there are ways round it, but it is clunky.

On the hint from ZB - I never managed to get it to work, and I was kind of hoping things might be different in 1.8 so I delayed.
(2012-07-30, 07:47 PM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]Well, why exactly are you overriding the theme? Is it for colours or is it for templates (ie HTML structure)? If it is for templates then you should DEFINITELY look at XThreads. That way you would not need to force a theme for structure - the structure is applied at forum level. If colours - there are ways round it, but it is clunky.

On the hint from ZB - I never managed to get it to work, and I was kind of hoping things might be different in 1.8 so I delayed.

Oh it's for colours. The sections that are overridden still use the same theme, just in a different colour. Also (I haven't come around to it yet but) when I design the forum logo I want to create some variations of it, for example on the music section have speakers on either side of the logo or something like that if you get what I mean...so it's purely for aesthetic reasons, but obviously on a mobile device none of this is that important so I'd be happy to just use the GoMobile default for now IF it wasn't conflicting with my sections' themes lol.

About your ZB thread though, at one point you said a code worked (think it was on the very first page), I'm hopeless with HTML though (I've literally watched/read tutorials for pretty much every line of code I've had to change lol) so is that not relevant?

In fact I'll show you what I mean (just in case it makes a difference lol)
Go to "http://www.sodaflop.host56.com", that's the url I'm using at the moment since I won't be getting a decent domain unless the forum takes off.
All the sections both under "Pop Culture" and "Diet Soda" have forum specific themes.
Say you're on a mobile and you want to view those sections, as soon as you click ie. "Boombox", it reverts back to the desktop theme.
Yes, it did work a bit, but NOT on forums where there was an override. Going offtopic on your thread now, but hold onto your hat.

As you know, there are templates per theme in mybb AND there are global templates. Global templates apply to all themes, and theme templates apply to that theme. I have a LOT of global templates as I am an XThreads fanatic and I did not want to make all the templates several times, so I was trying to look for a code that made the template layout change if it was the mymobile theme. So for example, instead of having a popup slideshow I just wanted the image to be visible.

That DID work - as long as the forum did not have an override. Which is our issue Big Grin

Ok, I saw your edit - you replied while I was typing - it looks like all your HTML is pretty much the same, and it really is JUST color.

What you can do - I am unsure on the impact here - is make the css COLOR style apply via a separate stylesheet per forum, those style sheets being on your server but outside the mybb themes system. You would need to get all the aspects that are purely colour defining and put those in a stylesheet.

That is where you can use the mybb mobile if else code I posted on mybbhacks. You would WRAP the link to the style sheet in an if else - if mybb theme mobile then ignore the extra stylesheet - other wise if forum 2 apply stylesheet 2. That could work, but you would need:

1) To be fairly good at css
2) To have the template conditionals plugin installed (a must for any mybb forum imo)
3) To not care too much about bandwidth.
4) Be prepared to limit the number of forums
OIC!! Thanks for explaining that to me, it actually makes sense now (mostly lol)!
As much as I get the whole having different stylesheets for each theme thing though, I really am not skilled enough with css to be able to pull it off. Plus as I've been figuring out the forum's sections etc, I've already had to merge a couple of sections into one as to not make the forum too crowded so having to limit it further would be a pain.
And I'm on a free server whilst I'm setting everything up so bandwidth would also be an issue.
Guess I'll have to wait until either GoMobile or MyBB address the issue (if ever)...sucks to be me Sad
Well, it is a shame, I took mybb mobile off my site because of it. From a mybb standpoint though, the software is doing JUST what it says on the tin - forcing the style. It is more that a theme, though a clever solution - is not really THE solution imo, and really it needs to be a separate module running on the same database. That would have to be mybb 2.0 as it will be an MVC set up and so will adjust much better to these kind of requirements.
Yeah I agree. You can't really complain when it really isn't MyBB's fault, but it would be a welcome and much needed addition regardless. Hopefully 2.0 will support this, if not you and I can set-up the old-timer/no-mobile-capability-for-me club.
(2012-07-30, 11:05 PM)RUDBOXXX Wrote: [ -> ]........... if not you and I can set-up the old-timer/no-mobile-capability-for-me club.

wellll, more the we love colours club Big Grin
Pages: 1 2