MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Copyright?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sorry I'm new on theme creation.

I've made a theme and want to release it for free.
I have no idea about the copyright of free distribution things. If I have to obtain a patent or not for my free theme, if its yes then what are the procedures ...

Any info will be appreciated, thanks.
Patents are for inventions. Trademarks are for uniquely identifying features (like a logo). Copyright is for broader designs and artistry.

I think if you don't care at all what people do with your theme, you can release it under the WTFPL, which is as close to public domain as one can get in countries that don't officially recognize public domain.

If you still want some control over your theme, such as no commercial use or something like that you might look in to the Creative Commons license.

I am not a lawyer, so be sure to at least read up on the licenses you consider (especially what they protect and what they allow and how they interact with the rights and works of others) and maybe even consult an actual lawyer if you need help. However, I think for most little things going with a simple, common license is the best way to go.
Thank you, it was really helpful.
Now all I've to do is pick the proper licence which is a boring reading job.

So, I can just pick a licence and use it - its that simple? Or I have to get in touch with the licence providers in order to use their licence?
Nope, pick it and use it. Of course, you have to use your name instead of theirs but that's pretty obvious (it is your work, why would you give them copyright over it just for creating a license?). I have yet to hear of a copyrighted license.

Again, not a lawyer, so be sure to do research before acting on my info, as I cannot guarantee 100% accuracy.
OK. Thank you for your supportive response. I'm ready to release my first theme and I expect people will love it. Only problem is this licence thing which I can't figure out.

What if I write my own licence? Will it be effective?
Or just upload it? I've seen theme packages without any licence included.
What if I write my own licence? Will it be effective?

Your license represents contract agreement between licensor ( in this case you as theme creator ) and the purchaser (the person who is using it).By downloading your work purchaser has agreed to all terms (license conditions) that are defined in that same license.

And for effectivity it all depends on user who is using it.If he tries to remove theme copyright (or even break any license rule) you can:
1.Threat with takedown notice / law suit due the fact that he brooke license agreement
2.Ignore him

In my case user has broken license agrement by removing theme copyright and aftert i send him first pm (with takedown notice threat) he started pasting some random answers about intelectual property in state of Nevada (and some court decisions ?) and after 10 pm's i decided to to lay off and let the poor kid have his fun Big Grin. He wasn't worth my attention.

If you didn't invest weeks / months in your theme consider CC NonCommercial license - http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/ (other users can share,remix and transmit your work with attribution without commercial use).
Thank you so much. Big Grin Will follow this guideline.