MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Starting up forum, not sure about the sections.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello,

This is my first post here Smile. To be honest, I've been using MyBB for ~2 years now. Anyway, I want to start up a forum and the topic of it would be 'Wep Application Security'. I do have the keywords I want to rank for, so please don't tell me I should not because they already exist etc.

I see many forums everyday that have about ~5 members and 6556467 of sections, which makes them unprofessional, inactive and dead.

In general, my forum is about securing your website / server and surrounding these protections (We are NOT a hacking forum, only legal discussions).

My current sections are as follows:

Bold - Category
Text - Forum

Hacksters Community

Community Related
Description: Forum/Board Related Topics and user sided problems, suggestions and updates belong here.

Website & Server Security[/b]
Description: All about securing your website or server and surrounding these protections, also known as 'breaking in' or 'hacking'. To fully understand, you must know how attacks work.

[i]Programming

Description: This section is related to programming. Any computer language will do. The sub-forum is created for CGI languages such as PHP, Python etc.

Any suggestions?
I would think it is pretty difficult to have a whitehat hacking community as the same techniques to check for security are often used to attack, I think.

Anyway, I think it is a good idea to post here rather than direct to showcase for pre-launch questions.

So your plan is one category and three forums on the index page. That is short and sweet.Smile I see you refer to subforums in the programming section. What is the purpose of those subforums? Is it any programming in a selected language, or is it programming more specific things and how to do that in the various languages?
Oh, I've gotten a small idea out of your post... Because it's Website related, only CGI languages will be discussed like PHP, Python and Perl.
Any website (even a gaming one) can be successful if you bring the right things to the table. Content is king no matter what. If you have unique stuff people want, expect success. I feel like you have the right mindset, and your idea is interesting. Just try to think up some ideas (maybe get some buddies together and brainstorm) of what would make your community unique. Also, take your time and don't mess it up. Good luck.
Are you actively looking for hackers? Or are you just looking to start a website? I think there s a real need for a website for small website owners on how to run a VPS barebones, specific to what they can do, handy free resources, that sort of thing. I think there are a lot of small forum owners who would like a VPS but cannot afford the cPanel charges.

Security of servers is a big deal as well, so the hacking comes in there.
I would be interested in a community about low-level management and security of a server since I am currently administrating a decent-sized (but not very active, we're working on it) site on one where the cPanel got broken and I CBA to fix it since the owner and I are the only two that access it and I think it's good to know how these things work under the hood. A community that looks at hacking from the defensive side would be neat, since often the best way to defend against an attack is to know how it's done.
Exactly Firestryke. I would definitely be interested in joining a site like that. Simple stuff for newbs going to a more advanced level.
I'd also be interested. I'd like to start learning more server-management stuff, and white-hat hacking is pretty neat.
If this turns out well I'll pop my head in and contribute too, tbh.
Thank you guys for your things you said, really must admit they motivate me.
I really hope I'll provide you a decent board filled with decent content.

Stay tuned.
Pages: 1 2