MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Idea: User permissions scanner
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quick idea:

A plugin that emulates trying to access each forum as each user, reporting back if they can access it or not.

The results would be on a page in the ACP, so the admin can see exactly who can or cannot view the forum (not just assuming he/she has set permissions correctly).

It'd take a few seconds to go through each permission system depending on how you do it, but it'd be so useful. I for one worry that 1 or 2 forums or users have incorrect permissions and can see all of my private forums.

Thoughts?
Why not just check perms in admincp?
(2012-08-07, 04:18 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Why not just check perms in admincp?

Jazza Wrote:I for one worry that 1 or 2 forums or users have incorrect permissions and can see all of my private forums.

It's supposed to verify your permission settings. Permission settings can be very complicated when you're in multiple usergroups and when forums have unique custom permissions.

This plugin would test your permission settings.
I would like to check it once you release it.
(2012-08-10, 03:34 AM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]I would like to check it once you release it.

It's just an idea at the moment. I won't release it any time soon. I have a few other plugins I'm trying to get done (and released).

Glad to know you're interested!
Right. The permission system can be very confusing Sad
(2012-08-10, 03:01 PM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]Right. The permission system can be very confusing Sad

If you're confused you'll likely have problems setting them and imho a plugin like this won't be helpful.

Perms imho are fairly simple. If you don't think so then you might need to rethink how you're using them.

Be aware that if you set parent forum perms the child forums has the same perms imho making it easy to set up.
The problem comes when you have forums in one category and all of those are meant to use their own permissions (it would be the same if you spread them over all more that one category, at the end each one need different permissions from each other), even worse when you give that category its own permission. Tough you only set them once, so you are right a plugin may not be that necessary Toungue
Permissions are simple if you only have a few main usergroups and a few forums and categories. When you start getting into many usergroups that a user can be in at one time, have many forums and set unique permissions for each usergroup... it gets messy.

That's why I'm doing this. I want to test if I can access a forum without having to log in as each usergroup.