MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Need help with Database Configuration!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am new to all of this, and about to pull the remainders of my hair from my itchy scalp.

All I want to do is add a MyBB Forum to a website I am hoping to develop.

I had no idea it would be so hard.

I bought a hosting plan through Yahoo Small Business.

I have read so many guides, my head hurts.

Yahoo's help page tells me to do things that aren't even options once there.

Apparently, I had to download FTP, FileZilla, MySQL and now I'm being told I need cPanel, etc. Nothing I do seems to matter in relation to getting the DATABASE CONFIGURATION required in the Install phase of MyBB.

All I get, no matter what I do, is:

Error

There seems to be one or more errors with the database configuration information that you supplied:
•Could not connect to the database server at "" with the supplied username and password. Are you sure the hostname and user details are correct?

Once the above are corrected, continue with the installation.

I just don't understand any of this. Why is it so hard to just make a forum to attach to my website? What am I doing wrong? I know it can't be this hard and frustrating?

Shouldn't my Yahoo Web Host have this crap already set up somewhere? I've searched, and cannot find the answers.

Please help. I just need proper direction to pull this off.

Thanks in advance.
1) where u want to host yur mybb if u want to host ur mybb on ur local machine u have to install php server and mysql and configure

and if u want to host on hosting server upload files to server and configure /inc/cofig.php

$config['database']['database'] = ';-----------------databse name
$config['database']['hostname'] = ''; ------------------database host name
$config['database']['username'] = '';-----------------------database user name
$config['database']['password'] = '';--------------------database user password

and follow instruction for installation
(2012-08-09, 04:12 AM)jack3935 Wrote: [ -> ]1) where u want to host yur mybb if u want to host ur mybb on ur local machine u have to install php server and mysql and configure

and if u want to host on hosting server upload files to server and configure /inc/cofig.php

$config['database']['database'] = ';-----------------databse name
$config['database']['hostname'] = ''; ------------------database host name
$config['database']['username'] = '';-----------------------database user name
$config['database']['password'] = '';--------------------database user password

and follow instruction for installation

It is my understanding that since I bought the hosting from Yahoo that I can upload the files to them, which is why I've been so confused as to why all the instructions are making me download these server programs.

I do not want to run my computer as a server. I thought that was the point of purchasing a hosting plan?

What is this config.php? Another program I need to DL, or something I should have done from the begining? Huh
u need to upload mybb site to ur yahoo hosting and edit config.php for connecting database

read installation instruction
First thing. People referencing cPanel are right. People referencing things like FileZilla are also right. Smile cPanel is like an alternative for FileZilla, it allows you to upload files as well as manage databases, etc. FileZilla allows you to upload files to your webhost.

Have you read this? It details installation. By the sounds of it, you haven't entered your database credentials. If you have an Advanced or Premier plan (from Yahoo! Small Business), you have a MySQL database, and if you have a Basic Plan, you don't.

I hope this helps. Smile
(2012-08-09, 07:30 AM)Seabody Wrote: [ -> ]First thing. People referencing cPanel are right. People referencing things like FileZilla are also right. Smile cPanel is like an alternative for FileZilla, it allows you to upload files as well as manage databases, etc. FileZilla allows you to upload files to your webhost.

Have you read this? It details installation. By the sounds of it, you haven't entered your database credentials. If you have an Advanced or Premier plan (from Yahoo! Small Business), you have a MySQL database, and if you have a Basic Plan, you don't.

I hope this helps. Smile

I have the premiere plan with yahoo, so yeah, i'm supposed to have everything. The guide you linked is what I have been following to set everything up, along with reading a dozen others online when that didn't work midway through.

The problem is, I cannot figure out what my database credentials are, and was led to try to making my own database via MySql, which ended up just making one via my personal computer, which is not what i want. I have searched everywhere on yahoo, and nowhere can i find database information i need to be able to add the credentials needed during the myBB install process.
Hmm, I've never had a host without Cpanel, so I don't know how much help I'll be. But the idea is to make a database user account, you create the username and password for the account. Then you are going to want to create a new database. Once you do that, add the account you created to the database. Then go into your mybb directory and edit the file config.php to include the information to connect to your database. (The username, password, and database name.)
Ok, so now, I installed another yahoo tool called phpmyadmin. In doing so, it asked for the mysql_admin username I had created with the MySQL account.

I did this, and now I have a server running in phpmyadmin, but now I've ran into more problems.

MyBB SQL Error

MyBB has experienced an internal SQL error and cannot continue.
SQL Error: 1142 - DROP command denied to user 'mysql_admin'@'localhost' for table 'mybb_adminlog' Query: DROP TABLE IF EXISTS mybb_adminlog

I set up my config file to read:

$config['database']['database'] = 'mysql';
$config['database']['hostname'] = 'mysql';
$config['database']['username'] = 'mysql_admin';
$config['database']['password'] = '??????';

What am I doing wrong, or missing?

I did it!!

Figured it out.

I had to create a new database called mybb, and bam!

Thank you guys for all of your help. I am now able to customize my forum!

CoolCoolCool

You guys are the best!
Mark this thread as solved then (top left)
Congrats Smile Also, welcome to Mybb Community Forums!
Pages: 1 2