MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Server sends no data for specific thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When I try to access a specific thread on my forums, my browser says the server sends no data. This is one out of hundreds of threads.

I'm running many plugins, some are my own. None would cause this issue to my knowledge.

No PHP errors in my server log.

This occurs in all browsers from other users (not just myself) in other locations/ISPs/etc.

Thread in question: http://www.broniesaustralia.com/showthread.php?tid=1942 (may need to log in, if so, I can set up a test account or you can sign up)
Could you perhaps provide details of a test account. Have you also tried it with plugins temporarily disabled?
(2012-08-14, 10:13 AM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]Could you perhaps provide details of a test account. Have you also tried it with plugins temporarily disabled?

Sent you test account details.

I'd really like to not disable my plugins. I have 10+ installed. It's a heavily customised forum (which is probably why these issues arise).
Right, so I've now found this only happens for logged in members and doesn't seem to be linked to Chrome alone (as this issue usually seems to be). I'm still trying to figure out an exact cause though.

I know this may sound odd, but is there any chance you could dump the database and try it on a different server (even on a localhost)? That way we could determine if it's possibly the content of the thread that's causing the issue in some way.
(2012-08-14, 05:49 PM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]I know this may sound odd, but is there any chance you could dump the database and try it on a different server (even on a localhost)? That way we could determine if it's possibly the content of the thread that's causing the issue in some way.

Doesn't sound odd at all. I'll give it a shot.

One thing I did notice though is that when one of my users tried to post a new thread with HEAPS of characters, it produced the same issue. The thread in question is also very very long. It sounds like that's the issue.
It certainly does sound like it, but there's nothing in the core code to cause that which I know of which is why I'm currently thinking it might be a server based problem Smile
I have found the bug.

If a post is over 5220 characters in length (as it is stored in the database so including BBCode) the whole thread will break.

I found it by inserting break points in the sourcecode of showthread.php (die statements) until I found the postbit function. I then did the same in functions_post.php until I found the message parser.

To fix, I simply did this:

$post['message'] = substr($post['message'],0,5220);

I'll try to replicate it on my test forum but I'm suspicious it's a specific server issue, although I have no idea why.
Very odd. I'd assume it'd be a server speific issue (perhaps it's running out of memory or something whilst processing the thread output) otherwise we'd likely have other reports.
I found the bug! It was a bad custom MyCode regex that caused a segmentation fault in PHP.
Could find! Glad you finally found the answer.