MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Any commercial companies using MyBB?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
What he has is acceptable Toungue
(2012-08-15, 07:15 PM)Known Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-08-14, 06:46 PM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]That's true. Companies usually tend to give back to Open Source projects when they use their software but everybody always says EA's evil Toungue
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-LE0ycgkBQ will explain it all.
(2012-08-14, 06:46 PM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-08-14, 06:42 PM)WebOutfit Wrote: [ -> ]Sad that EA doesn't support MyBB with the copyrights...but oh well.

Does anyone know why though? I never understand why people wouldn't want to.
Alot of companies always remove the copyrights (I've seen some removed from phpBB, others from other forum companies that they don't pay for, etc.) I'm just assuming to them it "doesn't really matter" when sadly it does, but at least they see the value in MyBB Big Grin

It's not about whether or not they directly or indirectly support the company they get their software from - you can do that easily while still removing the copyright via donations, volunteering to help support the product, etc. Whether or not they actually do... well, that's up to them.

Most companies go for scripts / software that allow copyright removal (either open source, or with a fee) because it saves them any legal ambiguity that they are "sponsoring" or "endorsing" that product, when really all they are doing is using it. It removes association so if the software house comes under fire, the company itself is clearly showing that there is no endorsement between client and company. I believe most lawyers for larger companies advise such a tactic to keep the company as far away from legal issues as possible.

Not to mention from a PR standpoint. Say something were to happen to Company X, who produces Software Y that Company Z uses, that results them in not only legal trouble, but actually starts getting a bad reputation for whatever they did. People will see Company Z using that software and then automatically assume that there is a relationship between Company X and Company Z, thus grouping them in with the "bad stuff" so to speak.
(2013-01-01, 01:07 PM)arnowld Wrote: [ -> ]Sad that EA doesn't support MyBB with the copyrights and patents. This is ethically good and according to business and labor laws.

They're not breaking any law. MyBB doesn't even require this.
Pages: 1 2 3