MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: 1.6.5 Problems - How to do fresh install with exceptions?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am using an old 1.6.5 install which I have upgraded each step of the way up to 1.6.8

After digging through many thing I've found that many of MyBB's features which are on 1.6.8 are not working on my installation. Things from Global announcements to Admin CP options are missing. Each upgrade install process said was successful. So my thinking is perhaps the best way to fix all these problems is to do a fresh install of 1.6.8 but I need to retain all users, threads, posts, attachments, smilies, icons, themes, and active plugins with their current settings.

This seems like it would be a daunting task.. but how do I do it?

If I do a fresh install of 1.6.8 on local, how do I import everything from my online forum into the local installation? I want to do local first so I can test everything before putting it live by over-writing the live site with the local.

Like I wrote above, I need my users and website to function as if nothing has happened with the exception of the working features I need.

I believe the upgrade processes (don't know which release or if multiple) missed some things during upgrades.. that's the only explanation that I can think of, of how this has happened in the first place.
Did you upgrade the files, then the database (/install) and then repeated this for each version? You could have just of done a upgrade from 1.6.5 -> 1.6.8 with no issues.
(2012-08-15, 05:07 AM)Known Wrote: [ -> ]Did you upgrade the files, then the database (/install) and then repeated this for each version? You could have just of done a upgrade from 1.6.5 -> 1.6.8 with no issues.

Right, but 1.6.8 wasn't out when I did the one click install what I left out was the amount of time this took place over. From the moment GunnerAIO was active on MyBB forum, that's as far back when I first did that one click install for 1.6.5. I have a forum with an established community that depends on certain plugins to keep functioning. If I do a fresh install and import the database and re-activate the plugins it could cause problems with many of the plugins that have their own db tables and entries, not to mention all the attachments may cease to work if I just simply copy and paste that directory over. I want/need help from someone who has done this before and is a seasoned MyBB developer/installer.

I've done a decent amount of MyBB installs for different genres of communities since I became acquainted with MyBB. So far no install has operated perfectly. Even on fresh installs of 1.6.8 the Codepress doesn't work yet on upgraded installs from previous versions Codepress works fine. None have been perfect, but for this Thread and OP what's important is getting Global announcements to work while keeping everything else working the way it has been.
Make sure you have all the updated files by running the file verification tool in the ACP and then ensure you've run the upgrade script successfully, you can run it again selecting 1.6.5 as the previous versions without it causing any problems.
I had strange problems when I moved site from smf to mybb 1.6.8.

You might want to try my fix for this:
  1. you have forum with errors on mybb 1.6.8 (let's call it forum A)
  2. create forum B - new, fresh mybb 1.6.8 installation
  3. use mybb merge to get data from forum A to forum B (I did not merge settings, I added them manually later).
  4. see if forum B has errors.

It fixed errors for me, it won't hurt for you to try it. Smile