MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Gzip Compression on Godaddy shared hosting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a MyBB forum on a shared hosting site with GoDaddy.

The 'enable Gzip compression' setting in MyBB does not work with GoDaddy shared hosting and their support people have told me that I need to manually install script as follows:

Quote:To Optimize Your Site Using Compression

Add the following code to the very top of your Web pages above the DOCTYPE:

<?php if (substr_count($_SERVER['HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING'], 'gzip')) ob_start("ob_gzhandler"); else ob_start(); ?>

Rename the file you want to compress with a .php extension instead of .html or .htm and upload the file to your site. The file will be compressed upon request and delivered to the visitors' browser.

Can someone assist by indicating what file(s) I need to add this to and whereabouts I should locate the above in the file?

For the moment I am not able to switch to another webhost so I need to make what I have work with GoDaddy shared hosting.
Sorry but can I ask why you can't switch hosting? GoDaddy is seriously awful.
(2012-08-18, 09:54 PM)ozdougal Wrote: [ -> ]I have a MyBB forum on a shared hosting site with GoDaddy.

The 'enable Gzip compression' setting in MyBB does not work with GoDaddy shared hosting and their support people have told me that I need to manually install script as follows:

Quote:To Optimize Your Site Using Compression

Add the following code to the very top of your Web pages above the DOCTYPE:

<?php if (substr_count($_SERVER['HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING'], 'gzip')) ob_start("ob_gzhandler"); else ob_start(); ?>

Rename the file you want to compress with a .php extension instead of .html or .htm and upload the file to your site. The file will be compressed upon request and delivered to the visitors' browser.

Can someone assist by indicating what file(s) I need to add this to and whereabouts I should locate the above in the file?

For the moment I am not able to switch to another webhost so I need to make what I have work with GoDaddy shared hosting.

If you are on Go Daddy 4GH hosting you should not have to worry about this as we compress everything we serve out automatically. You can read more about this here.